myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Icaraizinho & Jeri experiences?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Icaraizinho & Jeri experiences? Reply with quote

Looks like we'll be in Brazil next year. Has anyone been to Icaraizinho? I'd love to hear about it. One thing we will (unfortunately) need is internet - is that usable there, or do we need to go to Jeri? We're not really into partying or crowds on the water, so Icaraizinho sounds tempting.

Thanks,

Peter
bowen1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across this post while searching for something else, so I realize this info will be too late for Peter but may be of some value to others.

I've been to both Icarai and Jeri a couple of times each. September and November.

1. Either location is a great wind/kite surfing destination and worth the effort to get to. The wind is virtually guaranteed every day. Great rental kit both locations (Vela/Club Ventos).

2. Jeri has way, way more people (tourists, kiters, wsurfers) even though it is harder to get to. The wind is slightly stronger for some reason. 4.0 - 4.5 for me (165 lbs ). The bay at Jeri faces almost to the west, so the beach is in the lee (tourist friendly) and w surfers take off at the upwind (northerly end). Kites are not allowed to launch or land anywhere in the bay and are separated completely from wsurfers. Most kiters seem to take a dune buggy ride upwind or downwind from Jeri.

3. Icarai has a lot less people. The bay faces more to the east, so there is more wind in the bay itself. Kiters /wsurfers can launch anywhere, but Vela/Club Ventos is at the upwind end of the bay. 4.5 - 4.8 for me. In September there were 6 windsurfers one year and two the other. They say October is busy - maybe 20 guests. (vs. at least 30 wsurfers on the water most days at Jeri).

4. Neither spot is a real wave-sailing destination. Jeri has the better waves, but would not be reason for the hardened wave sailor to go there. Both spots are great for open ocean/swell etc. The free stylers occupy the break at Jeri - jumps/moves/ crashes flying kit etc. At Icari there is a reef that provides a freestyle playground at high tide. You may have to share it with a handful of others.

Personally I much prefer Icara for the peace and quiet (other than the sound of wind in the palm trees). I suspect that the older crowd would prefer it too; the younger crowd probably Jeri. I stayed at Villa Mango in Icarai - which I thoroughly recommend.

Hope this helps (someone).
bowen1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And plenty of Wi Fi, both places.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny to see this post come back to life. We went to Jeri since Ica was still closed at the beginning of July. Loved the town. Windsurfed almost every day, mostly 5.3 & 4.5 - but this was outside of the really windy season, so I was on some of the biggest sails they had (the 5.7 being the second-biggest).

More details at http://boardsurfr.blogspot.com/search/label/Brazil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: