myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Naish Sails

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fradge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 12:46 am    Post subject: Naish Sails Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to remove, let alone replace a broken batten on a Naish Koa. With these screw type adjustments I cant get the batten out.
dcrispin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Naish Sails Reply with quote

I broke a tube batten in my koa and ripped the sleeve in the middle at the same time. the batten had broken where the tube and flat parts of the batten are joined...when you remove it you will see where I mean. the screw mechanism allows you to lengthen or shorten the length of the batten by only about half an inch, so dont expect screwing will do more than that. since the sleve on mine was ripped I removed the broken batten through the hole, if you dont have that option, you have to unhook the batten restraint (the i 1/2 inch loop of nylon materiel looped around the batten outside end piece. use a piece of wire coathanger with the last 3/16 of an inch bent in a hook with needle nose plyers as a tool to fish down into the sleeve end and unhook the loop from its current side to the opposite side. the batten will then slide out. I rrepaired mine by inserting the flat part of the batten a litel deeper into the tubular part and wrappin first with two layers of clear packing tape then tightly with fishing line and knotting securely. I just left the rip in the sleeve as it is inconsequential. when re-inserting the batten use the wire tool you made to reloop the batten holder using what the other battens look like as a guide. it sounds hard but it is easy and free to repair. ive sailed it 15 times since the repair with no probs. from a coat hanger
dcrispin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Naish Sails Reply with quote

p.s. forgive my unproofread response. i want to say; when reinserting the batten: make the batten short by screwing the allen key all the way, (counter clockwise, if I recall)so that you can fit the loop over the end as the others are. then, lenghten the batten to tighten it up and seat the loop securely over the end. if your batten is busted in the mid part of the tube, as opposed to where mine was, you may fashion a splint by finding some type of dowel-wood will break but maybe you can find a nylon plastic dowel the right diameter for a snug fit- about half a foot into each of the broken ends, then wrapping as i did. fishing line makes an incredibly strong clamp when wrapped tightly due to the proggressive tighting that occures with twenty or thirty wraps around.
dcrispin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2000 3:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Naish Sails Reply with quote

i keep getting ideas as i hit send ok this is the last part; use a section of an old fishing pole as the dowel- you can always find a disposable pole at a garage sale or laying around your garage. later, DC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: