myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
HeliTackHelp
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mbvizer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2000 2:45 pm    Post subject: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

I can get to the backwind position to start a heli tack, but cant control the sail as it comes over the nose. I get pulled over the stern before I can bring the mast back up. Suggestions?
stu1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 1:09 pm    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

To spin from the backwinded position, make sure that you have first gotten pretty far off the wind - like onto a beam reach. Then, move the back foot up to the mast, let go or at least take all pressure off the mast hand, reach way back with the back hand, step back with the front foot, lean back and arch your back. In effect, you let the mast go where you were standing by getting out of the way. You should end up by holding the sail clew first with just the back hand. Now all you have to do is flip the sail as in a pivit jibe.
In stronger winds, you may have to pull with the mast hand to get the mast started. Remember that your hands go in opposite directions. One pushes and the other pulls. Try it one handed. It seems scarey but it works.
Where people get into trouble is by pushing with both hands. This just powers up the sail and you end up by getting overpowered.
Let me know if this helps.
mbvizer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2000 8:39 am    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. My wife also told me to slide my back hand further back, which has helped quite a bit. I like your suggestion, although I assume it would work best to reach back before I take the pressure off my mast hand since once I let go, things are going to happen pretty fast. I hope to try it tomorrow. Ill get back to you.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 3:28 pm    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

check out the Steppin Up video from the Pritchard bros.
it will help.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 5:22 pm    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

What the heck are you doing??????????
is this a helicopter tack or not?? In the last 15 years of sailing, I have never let go of my mast hand when executing a helitack! DUDE! just head upwind and push your sail dead into the wind. lean it down while you back wind it and PUSH the clew through the wind. Pull with mast hand and flip the sail and sail away. OR you can just sail away clew first then flip sail for style.... check out Ian boyds tricks of the trade (I think its on his tape).
mbvizer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 7:27 am    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

mbvizer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 7:35 am    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

I tried that approach initially - saw it in Wind-surf Mag a few years ago. But when I tried to just push the sail through the wind without tacking to lee-side sailing first I back winded myself right onto the original tack. What was I missing?
mbvizer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 7:38 am    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

That was my staring point. Thanks.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2000 10:21 pm    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

OK, Try if you will to tack as dead into the wind as you can.

Now sheet in more till the nose of the board is past the eye of the wind.
(I lean the rig toward the back of the board while leaning my body to the front of the board to achive this, sometimes putting your front foot at or in front of mast helps).

now its time to backwind the sail.

start by leaning the rig (mast first) into the wind.
Now backwind it (keeping it low near the water, and keep presure on the clew).

as the wind pushes your board onto the new tack, you should be pushing the clew through the eye of the wind.

AS SOON AS THE CLEW GOES PAST THE EYE OF THE WIND, THE WIND WILL PULL IT FROM YOU!!

NOW, you must (at this same time the wind is pulling the clew)
cross your hands over (boom to boom, old front hand to new front hand)
all the while you pull the mast across your chest. Remember that it is NOT a step by step, but a fluid motion.

grab with your back hand, sheet in while gaining your balance, and sail away.

And if you can find the video tape called: Tricks of the trade (by Ian boyd),
It would be make it very easy for you. His style of teaching (I think), is and was very helpful (for me anyway). If you cant find it, let me know and Ill try to get a friend to copy it for you.
Or better yet, If you got cable/dsl then I might be able to get same friend to capture it to his pc and email it to ya... maybe...
good luck, and have fun
joeyyyy
laudermouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2000 4:59 am    Post subject: RE: HeliTackHelp Reply with quote

Hey dude listen to joeyyyyy he knows his stuff i can tell he jams em mayby as good as my 8 year old . ive only been doing for about 20 years now and im with joeyyyyyyy with TRICKS OF THE TRADE BY IAN BOYD right on joeyyyyyyyyyyy you must be a shredder !!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: