myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurf Equip. Trailer Cooperative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hollytom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2000 9:33 am    Post subject: RE: Windsurf Equip. Trailer Cooperative Reply with quote

Hi - Saw your question. Last summer we built a trailer weighing about 400 lbs. We can hold a dozen sails, six booms, six boards, several masts, all wetsuits, etc. and lock it up. Weve taken trips from R.I. to Hatteras as well as to Cape Cod, Fogland, etc. -- so far no problems.

It was started with the most inexpensive Home Depot trailer kit - but if we were to do it again wed probably go one model up so the wheels would be bigger. This cost approximately $200. The next model up cost $250 or $300 - not sure. We built a 4 x 8 x 2 high box out of chip board with 1 square corner bracing. The right side has a full-lencth door and the back has a full width door - both drop down. We put a shelf half-way across the width - which runs the full length - easy access from back for sails and masts. All our 460 and 430 masts fit, as well as sails. Our biggest sail is 7.5. It is important to use screws and glue on all joints when constructing the box - exterior grade construction glue and caulking on all joints.

For racks we used 2 1/2 pvc plastic pipe. The important thing here is to have a creative use of 45 degree elbows and t-ys for cross-bracing to keep it rigid.The rack is fairly strong but we only carry two boards on top (side by side) and four boards on the bottom. These are stacked. If you are interested we can have a picture scanned and forwarded to you. The whole thing cost about $500.

Tom Schmitz & Holly Syrene
buczacz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2000 11:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Windsurf Equip. Trailer Cooperative Reply with quote

Thanks for response... but I think Ive already gone the route you suggested. If you check the website with the url in my original message, youre find a photograph of a open trailer I suspect is something like you described. Mine is built on a chassis on a Coleman utility trailer. It has made numerous trips from Los Angeles to Lake Isabella, about 3.5 hours drive.

The problem is that the boards are exposed and hence unsecure in urban environments. Ive looked at trailers made by Wells Cargo, but they are too heavy even when empty. Ive found one place that makes a relatively light enclosed trailer, about 4 x 5 x 12 feet, which reportedly weighs 1200 lbs., but it is still too heavy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: