myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Update on TI launch?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnview

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Update on TI launch? Reply with quote

Any one been there recently? Is the ramp still inaccessible on the weekends? Forced to sail from 13th street? Any more or less radiation? =8-0

Seems to be the only place with consistent winds lately...

- Dave
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the winds are "nuke"ing. You'll have a glowing good time! Just don't meltdown, haha...
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having launched near dozen times this season from 13 Street at TI I thought I'd share some observations:

First off: it's not all that bad and well worth any additional time involved, though I'll be happy when we get the cove back full time ( July next year says the Navy)

The alternate (now only weekday) launch is next to and downwind of the sewage treatment plant, (AKA Turd Ave. not to be confused with Third Ave), so hanging out for a post-sesh chat is not terribly appealing.

It's just as trashed as the cove with broken bottles and sharp metal objects. So booties advised.

There is a nice concrete pad above a storm drain. most launch from this 'patio'

Normally A small wind shadow offshore about 150ft. paddling straight out (east) will get you light shlogg-able winds, and so,

Use an uphaul. and

a floaty board gets you to the real wind line, (which is where it is from the cove, the tip of the breakwater.)

There is a north-moving current along the shore, (on all tides it seems) which can help move you out to the wind.

The added time to get to and from the wind is not more than 10 minutes total (assuming floatation and some breeze) On the return, getting a run downwind and well offshore can get you pretty close to the launch.

And keep in mind the Navy and its contractors try to open the cove back up by 5pm on Fridays.

And you can rig up earlier on Fridays in the area behind the apartments, just don't take someone's assigned parking slot (please).

TI launch 2015.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.89 KB
 Viewed:  15607 Time(s)

TI launch 2015.jpg

greytwhyte

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is painting a pretty rosy picture and while I agree with most of what he has said I think some additional information may be useful and I disagree with the statement that, "There is a north-moving current along the shore, (on all tides it seems)". Having launched when it has been flooding, I can tell you that when you get up to the point where the rocks head back West (left) into the cove there is a wicked current right there pushing against you. If you don't have enough wind to waterstart you will get pushed back/South or have to swim to the rocks and then walk/push/dive your way up further into the cove before the current lessons again and you can swim out to get a waterstart. I think most people who sail TI are there for the strong winds and generally not using boards with enough float to uphaul. so some swimming should be expected. Anyone that has heard Daniel's swearing climbing up the rocks after his session will understand that the launch can be tricky and hard on the gear. My luff sleeve has a couple small rips from getting in and out. The best time to launch from 13th St is while it is ebbing and coming back a flood is actually helpful. If you are coming back in on an ebb you may end up having to swim against that North moving current. That said, for me it is still worth it for the consistent wind and swell especially for the late after work sessions. I sailed until 7pm on Tuesday after a late launch. On several Fridays the cove launch has been open by 3:30 but check and don't count on it.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever time frame the Navy gives for completion of that work, add 2 years to it. Glad you guys are still getting out. Looking forward to someday sailing again out there. Thankfully it has been atypically sunny and windy close to shore at Crissy this summer.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the breakins, the radio active hazard signs, the limited parking to the general ugliness of the site, I have all but given up on TI. Given the choice between sailing TI (Today) and swimming laps, I'll take the latter.

Steve
koogzah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
From the breakins, the radio active hazard signs, the limited parking to the general ugliness of the site, I have all but given up on TI. Given the choice between sailing TI (Today) and swimming laps, I'll take the latter.

Steve

But that's the beauty of the 13th St launch. You don't have to choose between sailing TI and swimming laps.

And "general ugliness of the site"?! Damn, you just dissed TI. There could be repercussions.

How about you walk that statement back and try "totally unique urban sailing experience"?
jse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
jse wrote:

Steve

But that's the beauty of the 13th St launch. You don't have to choose between sailing TI and swimming laps.

And "general ugliness of the site"?! Damn, you just dissed TI. There could be repercussions.

How about you walk that statement back and try "totally unique urban sailing experience"?

Sorry Koogz, TI was one of my favorite places for a long time. How about this: "Totally unique post-apocalyptic sailing experience"? Because that's how if felt when I saw the demolition work.

Steve
koogzah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
How about this: "Totally unique post-apocalyptic sailing experience"? Because that's how if felt when I saw the demolition work.

I think we can accept that.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koogzah wrote:
jse wrote:
How about this: "Totally unique post-apocalyptic sailing experience"? Because that's how if felt when I saw the demolition work.

I think we can accept that.

We cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: