myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
help with unplaning tight jibes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcrispin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2000 12:48 pm    Post subject: help with unplaning tight jibes Reply with quote

when I flip the sail in an unplaning jibe, the board wants to begin turning back to its original direction. I have been flipping the sail as the board is pointing directly down wind. should I turn the board more before the flip? any input on a nonplaning jibe is appreciated. Im also bothered by people that answer questions with questions, so skip em. thanks DC
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2000 7:22 pm    Post subject: RE: help with unplaning tight jibes Reply with quote

One slog-jibe sail-flip technique I use is the same technique I use on moderate or high winds:
I spin the sail about its center like a top (by throwing the boom away HARD a millisecond before throwing the mast across my face hard) in the same second I switch both feet simultaneously. This produces the same boom-to-boom jibe I do at speed, leaving the new side of the boom hanging in mid-air waiting for me to grab it and sail or slog away. If Im not planing even when entering the jibe, I jibe the sail just past downwind, throwing it extra hard because it must spin before the wind can carry it away. If Im entering barely planing, Ill perform the same sail- and foot-work but sooner in an atempt to maintain the plane.

Mike \m/
dkr123

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 3:44 pm    Post subject: RE: help with unplaning tight jibes Reply with quote

For non-planning jibes, I think the easiest way is to sail clew-first until you are stable (the board is straight and you are moving on the opposite tack) and then jibe the sail.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2000 1:25 am    Post subject: RE: help with unplaning tight jibes Reply with quote

make it fun and just turn it into a snap jibe. sail away clew first then flip the sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: