myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Choosing the right fin?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kznelson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 11:05 pm    Post subject: Choosing the right fin? Reply with quote

How do you know if you have the right fin for your board, sail size, wind conditions, water conditions, and anything else I should consider in selecting

I sail mostly lakes, with some ocean.
Im on a BIC 290, sailing mostlly 6.0-7.5s.
wyndsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 8:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Choosing the right fin? Reply with quote

It is really not hard to pick and choose the
size rigs fins or boards by just observing
the sailors on shore what they are rigging.
Also observe the size of the sailors that also makes a difference. Go to sights where there is a lot of sailors you will get a better idea what to rig vs a sight just a few
which might make a wrong call.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 3:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Choosing the right fin? Reply with quote

Fin selection is based on a number of things, such as: sail size, board type & size, water condition (chop, wave, f lat), and you!

Generally speaking, the fin size is proportional to the sail/board size, for 2 reasons - you need more force to get the board planing, and to prevent the board from spinning out. But is
still affected by other parameters, like your weight, style of sailing, and direction of water current.

For the water conditions, you usually would use a blade for flat water, a convertible for bump and jump, and a wave fin for wave condiitons. However, depending on the style of sailing you want to do - such as racing or tricks, you might decide to use a different fin. For example, you might use a wave fin in bump and jump, because you want a more reactive or slashy feel. The fin is also suited to the board selected, if you are sailing in flat water, you are taking a board with a flat rocker, and most likely a blade fin (but a convertible will work too). If it is choppy/wavey then you will pick a board with more rocker and fin that is suited for choppy /wave conditions. Also if there are a lot of weeds in the water, you might consider a weed fin. This helps get you going, and the weeds pass the fin easier.

For example, I would sail my 6.0/6.5 with a 34cm convertible (or blade) fin on a fairly flat board (94 Axxis 278). If I went to a 7.0/7.5, and my AHD 289 Free, I probably would pick my next bigger fin, 38cm. If the fin starts to ride out of the water when really cranked fin walking, then I might go down in fin size.

The fin should allow you to get on a plane quickly in the conditions, and provide enough lift to keep the board planing. If it is too much, the board will rise out of the water when going fast.

Confused? well, I think the best thing is to see what people are using where you sail, and consider the differences in what you are sailing, and your weight.

hope this helps.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 1:42 am    Post subject: RE: Choosing the right fin? Reply with quote

just keep it simple, the bigger the sail, then the bigger the fin. and thats it!! as far as shape is concerned, the straghter more forward fin shapes, then the more the board goes up wind or points. more control and less pointing is found in the wave type fins...so just get a fin that best fits the wind you sail in and the type of sailing you want to do. or get a really big fin and try it, and do the same with a thruster. after you have sailed your board with only a thruster and then with a huge fin, youll know the basic differances. then off to the store!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: