myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
need some guidance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tlivac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2000 2:01 pm    Post subject: need some guidance Reply with quote

Ive tried windsurfing a few times but took my first lesson last summer and now Im sold. I picked it up pretty well last summer and was able to sail in 10-15 knot winds pretty well. No jibes though.

Id like to buy my own equipment but Im not sure if i should buy new or used. Im reluctant to buy a beginner board but also dont want to get in over my head.
artnvicky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2000 2:26 pm    Post subject: RE: need some guidance Reply with quote

My advice is to find out about windsurfing swapmeets through your local shops. This is the place to get decent equipment at most reasonable prices. You will likely outgrow your board as your skill level improves, so this is not something you want to spend too much money on, unless you anticipate later using it to teach others. Look for a wide board with boxy rails and lots of volume for starters. A centerboard makes it lots less tippy as well as helping you get back upwind!
On masts: just spend the money and get a 2-piece 460cm, mcs25 carbon mast. Nothing else even comes close to carbon. Sails: Avoid RAF sails at first. They have a way of jerking you as they first fill with wind, and so are harder for a novice to use. Single or twin-cam sails are far better. Find out what size people around your size use in your area, and get that as your first sail. I weigh 150# and use a 6.0sqm sail most of the time.
Good luck and have fun! - Art
stumpp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 8:39 pm    Post subject: RE: need some guidance Reply with quote

My advice is to get new gear from a reputable shop. Although you can get a great deal on used equipment, the technology has changed enough over the past several years that the newer stuff is much more user friendly. Also, the shop can guide you to a board thats right for your level. Where you sail, local conditions, your build, age, and skill level all have a big impact on the appropriate gear. The right board/sail combo for a 225lb guy sailing on an inland lake with fluky breezes can be very different than a 115lb waif sailing on the ocean. Although price can be a good indication of quality, most reputable suppliers provide excellent gear and you really cant go wrong with any of them. Having tested gear for the last several years, Ive found that the new wider boards are good for beginners and can also appeal to advanced users. Good luck!
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2000 2:40 am    Post subject: RE: need some guidance Reply with quote

I only want to say that I disagree with cams being easier than raf. Cams give better performance in eficiancy, but R.A.F. sails like wave and or wave/salom Sails are much more easier to handle from one tack to the next as well as being able to spill execess wind out from gusts. My Sugestion is to get the RAF type of sail and you will be happy. or try both and you deside what rigs up, and feels more friendly..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: