myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Gear Advice: Board

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
willhf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Beginner Gear Advice: Board Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm a beginner windsurfer living in Portland and eager to windsurf the gorge. I've been renting gear, and my waterstarts are getting better: My success rate is roughly 30-40% (it normally takes me 1-4 tries). As a result, I'm thinking about picking up my own gear.

I'm 6'3 and ~190lbs.

What should I get for my first board? I've been told to look for something in the 100-110 liter range. I've read that the newer wider boards (rrd firemove, jp magic ride, fanatic gecko) are great for beginners (although not suited for higher wind situations). Nothing like that ever shows up used, though.

I don't want to get something so small I get frustrated, but I don't want to buy something I quickly grow out of.

Any advice?

Thanks!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner Gear Advice: Board Reply with quote

Greetings Will,

You and I are of similar stature. What you might consider doing, is working
hard on your water starts until you can hit 3 in 4, otherwise I think the
Gorge is going to take you for a little ride. Not sure what size you've
been riding, but if you're comfortable in the harness and straps, a 100
ltr board is usually ridable down to 5.5, and there have been plenty of 5.5
conditions this year, if you don't go to the wrong venue..

I'm 6'3" and about 185 and my go to board is 80 ltrs from 3.7 to 5.7,
but I can waterstart in all kinds of wind all the time. I use a near 100 ltr
board for holey 5.7 to 6.7. I'm thinking the 110 will serve you better for about 1 season, and then you'll be wanting something smaller. How much
experience do you have with a 100 ltr board (or a 110)? Tabou, makes a 3S
model in I think 110 or there abouts, and the Riders of that board tell me it can be ridden into lot of wind like down to 4.7 or even 4.2.

Just a thought.

-Craig

willhf wrote:
Hi All,

I'm a beginner windsurfer living in Portland and eager to windsurf the gorge. I've been renting gear, and my waterstarts are getting better: My success rate is roughly 30-40% (it normally takes me 1-4 tries). As a result, I'm thinking about picking up my own gear.

I'm 6'3 and ~190lbs.

What should I get for my first board? I've been told to look for something in the 100-110 liter range. I've read that the newer wider boards (rrd firemove, jp magic ride, fanatic gecko) are great for beginners (although not suited for higher wind situations). Nothing like that ever shows up used, though.

I don't want to get something so small I get frustrated, but I don't want to buy something I quickly grow out of.

Any advice?

Thanks!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go bigger (120L+). Learn to handle a large board at consistent high speed. You'll become a better SAILOR as a consequence. Just stay out of the big swells. Go to Rock Creek/Mosier, Viento, or Stevenson, for examples. Or enjoy Vancouver Lake for a long time.
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will - I agree with Biff's comments.
In general I would leave the Gorge alone until your water starts are more consistent - kind of an important thing when you consider current and potential barge traffic.
My best suggestion - go down to Floras Lake and talk to Will Brady (stay with him at his B&B if you can afford it)
Take some lessons on the lake and practice your waterstarts - you will progress 10x faster there than elsewhere.
If you spend 2 -3 days with decent wind your abilities will quickly ramp to where you can have more confidence and fun in the Gorge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: