myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
cannot remove fin barrel nut
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize Ikea made furniture for use underwater, fresh OR salt. Very Happy
eastfork

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are not brass and will last until the rust
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

then use the Ikea nuts in your fins and see how long they last.

brass is not cheap
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drill it out from the side, use a C clamp to press it out, knock it out with a hammer and punch, soak in vinegar to loosen up the corrosion. Get almost free CGWA fins that include the nut. Get a Dremel tool and grind it out. Shoot it out. Is it fixed yet?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westender comes through again. Very Happy
rigitrite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You want them soft. In theory in the case of an impact it would fail before ripping your finbox out. I'm not sure how accurate that is in reality... But it is a press fit. So friction is the only thing holding it in...

Oh shit! a chance for me to geek-out...cannot.....resist.....
So, the thing here is that "soft" and "strong" as it applies to metals are not mutually exclusive. For example, brass is a soft metal; easily galled, easily machined, etc.. However, it is also quite strong. Decent quality brass has a yield strength close to that of some mild steels. So, while some care should be taken when threading brass machine screws (due to galling) they will not yield and prevent your box from being destroyed. The fin material will probably fail first.
The reason that it chosen for what we in the process industry would call "marine service" is it's resistance to corrosion (general attack), which is superior to stainless steels. If you wanted something better, then you'd need to use titanium. The fasteners from IKEA are plated steel, they're cheaper due to economy of scale. Brass is quite cheap to make parts from: easy to cast, easy to machine, easy to braze, but there's just not many of these parts made, so it's the opposite economy of scale.

johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Quote:
You want them soft. In theory in the case of an impact it would fail before ripping your finbox out. I'm not sure how accurate that is in reality... But it is a press fit. So friction is the only thing holding it in...

Oh shit! a chance for me to geek-out...cannot.....resist.....
So, the thing here is that "soft" and "strong" as it applies to metals are not mutually exclusive. For example, brass is a soft metal; easily galled, easily machined, etc.. However, it is also quite strong. Decent quality brass has a yield strength close to that of some mild steels. So, while some care should be taken when threading brass machine screws (due to galling) they will not yield and prevent your box from being destroyed. The fin material will probably fail first.
The reason that it chosen for what we in the process industry would call "marine service" is it's resistance to corrosion (general attack), which is superior to stainless steels. If you wanted something better, then you'd need to use titanium. The fasteners from IKEA are plated steel, they're cheaper due to economy of scale. Brass is quite cheap to make parts from: easy to cast, easy to machine, easy to braze, but there's just not many of these parts made, so it's the opposite economy of scale.

Okay so my metallurgy is weak Rolling Eyes BUT expain why not BOTH brass nut and screw or why not both stainless nut and screw. Curious minds want knowledge Cool

Although I now remember it was a US fin with a nut made from plastic with a brass insert that was a breakway (oops). Although I am still curious about my question above...
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metal transfer. The OP probably had a burr on the top of the nut from the pulled and stripped threads that would need removal before it would come out easy. You can do similar metals but not without lube or anti seize.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Okay so my metallurgy is weak Rolling Eyes BUT expain why not BOTH brass nut and screw or why not both stainless nut and screw. Curious minds want knowledge

That's actually a great question. Why don't we have both brass machine screw and insert. I suspect that the reason is that the board and fin are bought from different suppliers and manufacturers 95% of the time, and that there isn't coordination. Brass fittings are typically a little harder to find; my hardware store has 300 series stainless parts, but very few brass parts. I tend to use stainless machine screws, just because they're not very expensive and easy to find. I use anti-seize with them, and I take everything apart after use. The stainless does corrode, but very slowly. If you leave brass & stainless together in contact with fresh or (even worse) sea water, you'll get both general attack & galvanic corrosion (due to dissimilar metals and the salt content in the water...even fresh water).

UncleRandy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way of removing the barrel nut is to press the old one out with the new one Putin the new one in at the same time. Put the fin in a vice or press , a deep and wide socket on the side lube is and just press it out and new one in.
Unless there bur or other problem it should be pretty ez. Make sure the threads are in the right direction.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: