myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
To Duck or not - help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildwhaley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2000 12:26 am    Post subject: To Duck or not - help please Reply with quote

My regular jibes are hitting at 80-90% success; however, my duck jibe is a different story.

Seem to be just missing it somehow? Typically, the sail gets yanked out of my hands.

What are some tips that led to yalls success doing the duck? Is there any practical reason to learn it - or is it just show? Thanks!!!
harris52

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2000 4:54 pm    Post subject: RE: To Duck or not - help please Reply with quote

You should go for the duck at about 1/4 of the way through your carve and you need to make sure you keep carving all the way through. Keep low by bending your knees A LOT and carving hard.

If you start too soon, the wind will throw the mast down into the water and youll kersplat headfirst in the water. If its too late you cant grab onto the other side, since the wind blows the mast away from you. If its just blowing out of your hands, it may just be theres a lot of power in your hands as you come around and its a little uncomfortable in the switched foot position. Try and get your hands higher up the boom, let it sheet out a little and use that power to KEEP carving. Thats the funnest part of the whole move. You can switch your feet early instead of carving to help you sheet out, but that will kill the carve and is no fun anyway, so you shouldnt do it. Its like cheating. Bad bad bad.

The best way to learn something honestly is to purposely do it wrong in all ways, so you can learn what it feels like when they start to happen. So try it early, late, etc. My bet is youre barely late in initiation.
freestyleking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2000 9:51 am    Post subject: RE: To Duck or not - help please Reply with quote

Whats the last thing you see as you fall? I had the same problem and realized I was looking at my hands, not where I was going.
-can you sail out of a regular jib switch stance, if you cant practice it!
-go back to your normal jib and figure out what you look at while jibing, it should be where you are going.
-try a duck jib, but dont look at your hands, watch where you are going!

They are lots of fun and while make you a better sailor.
stumpp

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2000 8:49 pm    Post subject: RE: To Duck or not - help please Reply with quote

I find that ducks are actually easier for me than regular jibes. I learned on a big board in fairly light wind. That allows for a mucho greater margin of error. The two things that made my ducks click were (1) reach back to the clew and really THROW the sail over your shoulder -- doing that allows you to grab the booms closer to the mast thereby reducing the launching effect. If you find that you are working your way down the booms, then you arent tossing the sail with enough conviction. (2) sheet out as soon as you get a hand on the booms. This becomes less important as your timing improves, but it helps a lot when youre beginning. The important thing, though, is to get the turn down on a really light day. If you can go out on a floaty board with a much too small sail on a marginal day you can get it down fairly quickly. Timing becomes critical on windier days and on really small gear, but thats another issue....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: