myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Am I losing power when the sail rests on the boom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comment 1: Sail wrap. Whether a sail sits against the boom or wraps around slightly above and below is a function of desired sailing angle, average wind strength and the specific sail/board combination. The most significant influence is sailing angle.

Upwind, where the apparent wind is very far forward requires a leaner entry and flatter, less twisted overall profile. The choppier the water the more the apparent wind fluctuates, so often a flat entry with a deeper profile is best. The common way to achieve the first is to downhaul to flatten the entry but not so much as to kill power. One may achieve the second with a reduced outhaul and decent downhaul. The end balance isn't hard to achieve just by setting DH based on regular tuning advice based on wind conditions and playing the OH for power.

Downwind, hitting chop can slow the board and thus swing the apparent wind aft. More twist is required to damp the resulting power changes, so downhaul and less outhaul than pure upwind is usually the call. Of course, changing DH on the fly isn't likely to be available but to RS:X and Techno 293OD racers, so changing OH tension is the only option. Therefore, we tend to see sail wrap when the OH is dumped to achieve more leach twist because reducing OH tension also moves the draft back to a more narrow section of the boom. The balance can be well worth the speed loss.

Comment 2: Boom height. It's all about the angle formed between your harness hook, the boom and the mast base. Assuming you are properly tuned for fast and comfy beam reaching in flat water, raising or lowering your boom height often makes the common and respective changes also assuming no harness line changes occur. A lower boom will reduce the weight transferred to the mast foot but puts more pressure on your front foot. This helps control a board in choppier water and/or when overpowered. A higher boom increases mast foot pressure and reduces pressure on the front foot, usually allowing the nose of the board to ride higher.

In 1990, Anders Bringdal told me that he raised his booms a bit when racing slalom underpowered in order to get the board to "unwet." That remains ever more true with the higher aspect rockers of today. The idea that we exert more leverage "over the rig" usually suggests we could tip the sail over us more easily, thus loosing power. Yet the vectors in the tuning triangle say the opposite when planing. More force is produced downward through the mast base rather than to windward.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say Dan, but your key point was 'assuming no harness line changes occur.'

I wear a seat harness, always, and use long 32 inch harness lines with, for normal conditions, the fixing points a foot apart, with loop elbow to wrist. If I raise the boom (not often -just if caught out overpowered) I drop into the water, unclip the clamp, thump it up a couple of inches with palm of hand, re-clamp, AND slide the harness line points closer to give a lower loop and same relative body lean, increased leverage, but sailing stance as before.

I always assumed, therefore, that I was sailing much as before, but under slightly easier control. I'm not certain if that is correct, except that over the years I've obviously adapted my sailing stance to FEEL that it is working, for me, bearing in mind that I'm old school lean out and cant the sail to windward when overpowered, just as pictures of Robby used to show him doing..
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not likely to plane in your stated wind range (8/10) no matter how you rig your 7.5 sail. The Ezzy web site has great rigging and tuning video's.
In any sport there are three main ways to create more power. Increase motor size, reduce weight and reduce drag. Windsurfing sails get most of the power by increasing size. By out hauling your sail you actually increase the measured size of your sail a bit. Most modern sails require positive out haul to help shape the sail. A very deep sail laying hard on the boom will create drag, feel heavy and be unstable. If your sail is just touching the boom, it should be ok. The Ezzy freeride sail requires a enough downhaul so the battens rotate to the opposite side of the mast with the corresponding amount of positive outhaul. See rigging video. The will create a lite feeling balanced sail..
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard that rising the boom will increase your low end power. This is done to increase your control and leverage on an over powered sail. Putting the boom higher with the same length lines will cause you to pull the sail to the windward. Thus presenting less sail to the wind and decreasing your power. An up right and sheeted in sail is a powerful sail. Most of this is only going to make a small difference in the sails power. The best way to get the board up and going for a given sail size is to bear off the wind and pump the sail with your back and arms and the board with your legs. It takes more wind to get you going than it does to keep you going. let the board run down wind and get up to speed before heading back up wind. That said, probably not happening in 8/10
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what can i say? I didn't make it up. Smile

Raising booms often means that the original height was too low to keep the nose down. As far as not lengthening harness lines when raising the boom, of course we do. But discussing the variable of boom height seemed more helpful by keeping everything else constant. Assuming correct harness line length in the first place, we agree that raising the boom should result in a commensurate lengthening of harness lines.

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a follow-up I did raise my boom and that was helpful.

I did some tests yesterday by letting the sail rest on the boom vs. using more out haul and having it almost touch to boom, and I felt the more out haul in this case actually increased the power to drive the board forward. When I used less out haul and it pressed on the boom, it felt like a lot of pull, but for some reason it did not translate as well to forward speed.

So in light winds I will no longer rig where the sail rests on the boom and I will continue to keep the boom in the higher position.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sagging outhaul FEELS more powerful, like no downhaul also feels, but actually kills low end by softening the leech TOO much, and killing any chance for high performance sailing.
You see that a lot with beginner short boarders, loose outhaul, sail wrapping/touching 10" of inside of boom, VERY slow sailing.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:

Comment 2: Boom height. It's all about the angle formed between your harness hook, the boom and the mast base. Assuming you are properly tuned for fast and comfy beam reaching in flat water, raising or lowering your boom height often makes the common and respective changes also assuming no harness line changes occur. A lower boom will reduce the weight transferred to the mast foot but puts more pressure on your front foot. This helps control a board in choppier water and/or when overpowered. A higher boom increases mast foot pressure and reduces pressure on the front foot, usually allowing the nose of the board to ride higher.

I'm still puzzled by that part of the setup. My take is that rider position is the dominant factor. A lower boom reduces MFP, this should reduce control and accelarate board since the nose will ride higher resulting in less wetted area. However, when the sail is raked back, the low boom forces the rider to move a tiny bit forward, putting more pressure on the front foot. In practice, I always experience more control that way, meaning that moving the rider weight forward has more effect than the opposite effect of changing MFP.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailboarder wrote:
DanWeiss wrote:

I'm still puzzled by that part of the setup. My take is that rider position is the dominant factor. A lower boom reduces MFP, this should reduce control and accelarate board since the nose will ride higher resulting in less wetted area. However, when the sail is raked back, the low boom forces the rider to move a tiny bit forward, putting more pressure on the front foot. In practice, I always experience more control that way, meaning that moving the rider weight forward has more effect than the opposite effect of changing MFP.

So many variables can affect trim and feel (what we practically use as a measure of trim). That said, most of my posts about setup, trim and technique assume the existing trim is stable for certain conditions and skill level. I assume the sailor already can go straight at moderate speed with a board and sail that allow this without too much struggle. In other words, we must start somewhere.

Lowering the boom increases your leverage over the rig's fixed amount of force It also can reduce the amount of rig power you can convert into force. Put another way, our control of sail power would increase tremendously if we stood ten feet tall and attached our boom four feet higher. Since few sailors are even seven feet tall our sail boom cutouts fall within a certain range. Tall sailors use the top of the cutout while the shortest of us use the bottom. Strength, mass, skill and board width also affect boom height.

Once we find a reasonable spot, then the conversation starts. Lowering the boom for control assumes we are forced to handle so much power given the water's lift on the board. Lowering the boom pushes the balance forward when the sail is swept back. We feel less rotational pull on our back hand but "hang" less from your front, thereby shift more weight onto the front foot. It also locates the boom closer in line with our chest at its optimum "pull" point. Of course, our leverage over the fin may reduce as well as our speed since we no longer can resist or control as much rig power using a lower boom.

The thing about board trim is that most boards ride best at around four degrees of entry angle. Reducing MBP itself will not trim out a board when other aspects remain unbalanced. We see this when riding very wide boards without raising the boom to what may present an unfamiliar height if not planing. Failing to raise the boom puts directs more weight to our feet. This pushes the tail and windward rails down and increases drag, both of which together impede breaking onto a plane and maintaining a plane in lulls. Proper tuning allows a board to ride free -with a minimum of hard chop hits and an ability to keep constant speed and power in variable water and wind states.

Boom heigh directly affects all three points of board pressure. A higher boom presents more rig power to you, a lower boom reduces the rig power flowing through you.

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, quite informative.

DanWeiss wrote:

Lowering the boom pushes the balance forward when the sail is swept back. We feel less rotational pull on our back hand but "hang" less from your front, thereby shift more weight onto the front foot.

For this point however, the explanation doesn't fit my careful observation on my most used setup. (7.5 Freeride on Kona board)

Irrespective of boom height, the sail takes a fixed raked back position while on a stable plane. If I lower the boom by 10 cm, the balance point between my harness lines on the boom move forward by maybe 3 cm. Now, if you try your harness on land and find a balanced position, you will find that moving both your feet sideways by 3cm leaves you quite unbalanced. On a board, this would be called front or back foot pressure.

The change in hand balance comes from the fact that most people will not move their harness lines when changing boom heights. If you start with a balanced setup, and lower you boom, you will have to move your lines a bit forward to compensate. There is a line between the sail Center of Effort (CE) of the sail and the mast foot. The balance point is where the boom crooses that line. The line will not move while lowering the boom, but the crossing point will move forward on the boom. So, if you lower your boom and don't move your lines forward, you will have less pull on the back hand and more on the front one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: