myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing and fat bastards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starfish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's your Subaru? Very Happy
ImmigrantJesus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenson? If you are counting on the wind indicator at Stevenson to tell you what to rig you will be sorely disappointed!
My experience - always rig one sail size (a full meter) bigger than indicated!
Don't talk to any of the self-appointed experts there either - there are none, although there are many who claim to be...
My experience has been that most people spend more time on shore there talking and much less time sailing - kind of a lounge chair brigade.
I'm sure Isobars can confirm this as well... Wink
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check into the 125 rocket. I have a 122 Starboard Carve. They should have called it the "goes in a straight line like a sonofabitch", but I don't think that would fit on the board.
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Subaru is getting pretty full.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WndsrfInvstr wrote:
most people spend more time on shore there talking and much less time sailing - kind of a lounge chair brigade.
I'm sure Isobars can confirm this as well...

That's common at most sites. MANY readily admit that the social scene, including camaraderie and beer, is their major attraction ... to Gorge sites, Baja, etc. .... and many more simply don't have the endurance to outlast the wind (t he title of the first talk/WSing magazine article I ever delivered/wrote). THANK GOODNESS, because if everyone had the endurance and enthusiasm a few people do, there would be no room on the river. I enjoy sitting around BSing, but I don't travel to do it and try not to let it compete with WSing. I get enough down time during lulls as it is.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have to say, wind indicators, friendly sociable people and lounge chairs, we have extra by the way, all sound like good things. It's those buck fifty guys that are the problem.
its4.0somewhere

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing and fat bastards Reply with quote

stringp wrote:
Increasingly envious of the 150 pounders that can zip around on small sails and boards. At 205 pounds I'm on large boards and sails the size of Rode Island. The large boards tend to beat you to death. Ready to pitch it all and kite full time. What have the rest of you fat bastards out there done?

I weigh about 205 and find that I out-plane a lot of little people on those "Light wind" Gorge days using similar or smaller size sails because on a 5.7 gusty light day at the Hatchery I have enough volume to float my fat ass. Most folks still try to use their 75-80L wave boards with a big sail and they slog more than plane, while I almost never come off a plane on my 103L "old school" Realwind Powersurf. I've found the older narrower boards are much smoother than the modern short and wide boards. (A 103L Starboard Kode is 64.5 cm wide, my old Powersurf 103L is only 58 cm wide) Plus I put a big cushy deck pad with an extra 3/8 inch foam from NSI on all my boards. My "almost" 50 year old knees have thanked me for several years now.

A floaty narrow board and a big cushy deck pad do it for this fat bastard. Very Happy
uiuiuiui873

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're tiny, but living on the East Coast, maybe too big.
stringp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do engage in magical thinking that a new Tabou rocket will solve all my problems. But at $2000 per board, are they truly 40 times better than the circa 2000 F2 Rides (skinny, big v) that I picked up at swap meets with a bag for $50. The physics of floatation weight and power have not changed in 15 years. Do the nip and tuck changes in board shape really make that much difference to the on water experience?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELL, YES.

The older ones are MUCH better suited for what I want to do on the water and cost only 5% as much as the new potato chips. "MUCH better" divided by .05 = FAR superior in my book. Throw in the boards I've bought, enjoyed for a season or two, and sold for what I paid or even a profit, and the advantage is virtually infinite.

It's not the physics that's changed; it's the PR. Cars have actually gotten unarguably better, but boards are merely different ... for better and/or worse depending on what one wants them to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: