myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Who wants some swell surfing lessons in the Gorge?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevan, I think you're famous enough now. Wink And I'm glad. By the way, I like to sail where the swells are biggest. My most-likely launches include Cheap Beach, Rowena, Luhr Jensen, The Wall, Roosevelt, and Rufus. I will beat upwind and surf downwind as necessary, so I don't need big swell exactly where I launch.

Here is some great footage from the Gorge with some good examples of swell riding. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT featured in any of the footage.
GET STOKED. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! With a little bit of instruction. Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJUUf3weVi4
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettn wrote:
Kevin, make a cameo at the ABK clinic if you can. It would be fun to meet, and/or buy you a beer.

Hey Brett,

Glad to hear the you'll be there. Stoked to meet in person! Caesar Finies from Bonaire will also be w/ ABK... picked him up from SFO on Monday, and he's spending the few weeks touring with ABK.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Kevan, I think you're famous enough now. Wink And I'm glad. By the way, I like to sail where the swells are biggest. My most-likely launches include Cheap Beach, Rowena, Luhr Jensen, The Wall, Roosevelt, and Rufus. I will beat upwind and surf downwind as necessary, so I don't need big swell exactly where I launch.

Here is some great footage from the Gorge with some good examples of swell riding. DISCLAIMER: I am NOT featured in any of the footage.
GET STOKED. YOU CAN DO IT TOO! With a little bit of instruction. Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJUUf3weVi4

Can you teach me to ride swell hooked in just like Mikey?
riv2511

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe isobars should head to Hookipa and give a clinic to all the pro wave sailors on his theory that being hooked in while turning is the way to go. Or he can have his own trick hooked in gybing!!!! Never ever have seen anyone rip swells or waves hooked in... EVER!!!!!!!!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uwindsurf wrote:

Of course he can. Ya just do what he's doing ... and hook in when it feels safe. You very quickly learn what's safe and, like sailing overpowered, you expand your confidence and competence zone with TOW.

Guys, this isn't inverted monkey back-to-the-sail inside-the-boom switchstance one-armed Vulcans with your eyes closed and roller blades on yer feet; it's turning left or right rather than sailing straight ahead. Ya just DO IT, and it quickly becomes second nature. It's so simple that I can't comprehend why anyone thinks it's boasting.
karlos11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some fun swell riding for y'all from the wall a few years back. Watch Lex Luther if you want to learn how to shred da swells. That's how I learned. I love to ride swell like I surf, so now I kite with a surfboard. Peace.

https://vimeo.com/13399834
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riv2511 wrote:
Maybe isobars should head to Hookipa and give a clinic to all the pro wave sailors on his theory that being hooked in while turning is the way to go. Or he can have his own trick hooked in gybing!!!! Never ever have seen anyone rip swells or waves hooked in... EVER!!!!!!!!

So that means it's impossible, or even difficult? Besides, the thread is about running before the wind, not DTL wave sailing. (Please show us where I implied that is "the way to go".)

Have you ever seen anyone deliberately sail into a waterspout? Slide feetfirst "into third" on his back at absolutely maximum broad reach speed? Use a very steep wheelie to stop suddenly from a fast broad reach? Do an inverted monkey back-to-the-sail inside-the-boom switchstance one-armed Vulcans with his eyes closed and roller blades on his feet? Do a fully planing 540 body drag jibe? Plane all the way through a jibe exiting with only one foot on the board ... three inches in front of the tail? Spin solo in the air and come back down on the board hooked in and in both straps, fully planing? Completely blow more than than half his jibes some days after 30+ years of windsurfing? Plane over a big log simply by jerking one's feet -- thus the fin -- just high enough to miss it? I've seen and/or done all of those but one, so not only are they possible, some are easy and very common.

And that's just the windsurfing stuff. Don't get me started on other sports.

You might ask Craig Masonville what sailing sans harness did to his sailing career.

Regarding hooked-in jibing: I did three of them just last Friday ... every one ending in a faceplant into the sail because they were accidental. OTOH, I don't see why we couldn't jibe the board hooked in (done that part many times when an OTL or a simple slash accidentally carved well beyond 100 degrees), exiting clew first as many people do anyway, then unhook and jibe our feet and the rig (saved a couple of them that way). If I felt safer and was competent in sailing clew first hooked in at speed, I'd work on that. We know it's possible, because if ya unhook and jibe the rig a little sooner, it's called a planing jibe.

I don't do 10% of what I've seen others do, but I do some things I've never seen anyone else do, and that applies to any sport and to life itself, not just windsurfing. I feel sorry for people who think we must follow a rule book in everything we do, whether it's the Bible, a Step Jibe tutorial, getting the job we want ... or playing.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
uwindsurf wrote:

Of course he can. Ya just do what he's doing ... and hook in when it feels safe. You very quickly learn what's safe and, like sailing overpowered, you expand your confidence and competence zone with TOW.

Guys, this isn't inverted monkey back-to-the-sail inside-the-boom switchstance one-armed Vulcans with your eyes closed and roller blades on yer feet; it's turning left or right rather than sailing straight ahead. Ya just DO IT, and it quickly becomes second nature. It's so simple that I can't comprehend why anyone thinks it's boasting.

No. 1: You have said on multiple occasions that you don't and won't read my posts. I guess that was a lie.

No. 2: You would not know sarcasm if it jibed into you while you were ripping up swell while hooked in.

I think it best that you reactive your "kill file'."

Goodbye.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess who gets to choose which topics are worth dumpster diving and how dirty it's worth getting?
30knotwind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Gorge swell rides: Hatchery June 3, 2014. (Other swell riding on other videos in the playlist.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2suCwZCuaY&list=PLLxidOAtQltsG9VI2vnTMzE7wRN3VvdU_&index=2

(Switch quality setting to 1080p)

6-18-2015 7-36-18 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  597.78 KB
 Viewed:  14077 Time(s)

6-18-2015 7-36-18 AM.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: