myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Xmas in Baja??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
89Spring

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Xmas in Baja?? Reply with quote

Ok so we are seriously think about christmas in Baja. Can you guys give me some ideas on where to bring the family. Wife who used to windsurf when younger, in warm water, and a five year old daughter that loves being in the water. We would prefer something that we could have an apartment or small house with a kitchen but still able to go out for the random meal. A pool and some niceties would be good but not elegant or over the top. Simple and clean with good sailing close by. Not sure if I would bring my kit or rent? Would like to get the misses back into it. I've spent a bit of time in MEX and the girls came down to meet me in Cabo after an event. She liked it but wanted to get out of Cabo.

The Vela thing I think is a bit more than we would be looking for, but?

So thoughts on a family friendly Baja Christmas bail out??
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 89Spring,

iwindsurf.com has a Baja Guide that has lots of information on sailing and kiting sites in Baja with the focus being on La Ventana and Los Barriles.

Both towns have lots of options for places to stay from ranging from hotels to B&B's to private homes. Very few places have swimming pools.

Here is the Baja Guide:
http://blog.weatherflow.com/baja-guide-by-mike-godsey/

You can IM me for more details.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com
windsrf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Los Barriles/Vela at least ten times since 1996. It is somewhat better location/town for non-windsurfing folks IMHO (i.e. my spouse). Both Vela-related hotels have pools, but the one at Playa del Sol is almost never heated. Daughter might enjoy though, and it's clean. Nice to lounge around. The fancier hotel is a few hundred yard walk from Vela gear site at Playa del Sol, but has hot tub and the pool may be heated. I believe there are condos with kitchens at the fancier hotel. Windsurfing can be challenging for beginner, but if spouse can waterstart should be fine. Feel free to ask for more details. Cheers, David
combs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ventana Windsports in La Ventana is your place. I believe kids stay for free so most guests are entire families. Great food (that is included in the price) and best gear to rent.

La Ventana is much better than Los Barilles for beginners since there is no shore pound and worst case you get blown down to the hook and walk back.

My wife and I have spent Xmas with them 5 years running.

Issue may be that they book up early, so if you are serious I would contact them ASAP:

estebanbaja@gmail.com
victor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

perrsonally i brefer los barriles although like taking a day trip up to la ventana for the scenic drive and flat water

los barriles is closer to the airport and is much more of an established town with local color and more to offer for the non-windsurfer. plenty of restaurants and a nice grocery store within walking distance. the area is full of interesting pueblos and other sites to see.

la ventana is like a boom town with mostly dirt streets and hodgepodge of newish vacation homes spread along the main road. might be called a wind kook ghetto.

both places have plenty of rental properties of all levels.
bowen1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what Combs said about LV (better for the OP's missus) and LV Wind Sports for accommodation/food. They also have a big hot tub (no pool) and other toys in the shed.

Enjoy!
89Spring

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I looked in Ventanna Windsports shortly after this thread was active. They were pretty much all booked up at that point. This does sound like it would be a good spot. Perhaps we will be able to do this next year?? This year we will be spending some time down island in the Keys. Looking forward to blasting through the KW back country on a northerly gail. Or hitting the coral heads on the south side with a southerly.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want plenty of stuff to do for non-windsurfers including kids, and a hotel with a swimming pool, come to Maui. The ocean is a good 10 degrees warmer in winter than LV or LB, great whale watching and snorkeling, great restaurants, lots of stuff to do. And world class windsurfing.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the weather pattern this year, I might think twice about a windsurfing trip to Mexico. The north winds that bring the world class windsurfing to that area might not come. The Oct. and so far Nov. windsurfing In South Padre was a complete bust. Two days out of the last 39. Pretty much unheard of. Maui hasn't faired much better but that would be my choice. More to do if the wind isn't up.. Side note. By this time of year So Cal should have had several periods of strong Santa Ana (El Norte) winds. So far none have happened...
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Maui has been good this fall. Problem is, Christmas is very crowded there. Will you drive or fly?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: