myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Catapult prevention

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ad

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2000 2:32 pm    Post subject: Catapult prevention Reply with quote

Im continually being catapulted over the front of my board even when in the foot-straps. What am I doing wrong?
rpaillon

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2000 3:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Catapult prevention Reply with quote

Zara,
There can be two things wrong:

1. Youre totally overpowered because your sail is too big or not rigged right. If you do not have enough downhaul, your sail will not twist off the gusts and it will pull you over the top. You can easily tell, if you do not have enough downhaul. Your sail will be unstable. This means that a gust will tend to sheet out the sail instead of putting the force on it evenly. It will feel backhanded.

2. This is most likely the reason you are getting slammed: you are not sheeting in enough and leaning back and away from the board. This will be manifest in the tendency for gusts to stand you up on the board and sometimes pull you over the top. Lean back. Put your weight on the sail, not the board. You actually want to be half-flying--scary thought, huh? If you have the proper stance, you can actually lift up on the strap with your front foot to take even more weight off the board and cause the gusts to accelerate you instead of standing you up.

As you are probably aware, being catapulted is extremely dangerous. Your head can hit the mast when you get slammed and it could be all over. I hope you wear a helmet, I always do.

To soften the blow of being catapulted, forceably sheet out the sail by pushing hard with your back hand and pulling with your front hand as soon as you feel the sail getting away from you. You may still go over the top, but you will not get slammed.

I hope to see you planing.

Rick
long4wind

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2000 8:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Catapult prevention Reply with quote

For what its worth, last year I upgraded from some 6 year old Gaastra sails to some brand new Neal Prydes (MPRs), and boy did that make a difference. The number of times I have been catapaulted has gone way down. The newer sails twist off characteristics are a big help in this regard.

I also agree with the comment about having enough downhaul. If there is not enough downhaul in the sail, it will feel twitchy, and may want to dive forward. With the new sails, it should be quite easy to calculate the right amount of downhaul tension.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2000 6:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Catapult prevention Reply with quote

What they said, plus ...
Sit on your heels. When you feel, or better yet BEFORE you feel that uplifting sensation, drop your butt towards your heels to give you more leverage in opposing that unwanted lift. With yor weight dropped low and your back foot in its strap, getting launched is tough.

Mike \m/
paustin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2000 9:00 am    Post subject: RE: Catapult prevention Reply with quote

Ive often been catapulted, but got some help from Joe (as in Lucy and Joes) when sailing 3.2 conditions in the gorge. I had been sailing defensively weight low and back - he suggested a more upright stance so that you can sheet out faster in a gust. It made a big difference for me, hope it helps you. I later switched from a seat to a waist harness to improve my stance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: