myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
large volume, light air shortboards
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gcarleton

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2000 11:49 am    Post subject: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Im interested in buying a large (~150 liter, 275-300cm) board for sailing in light (8-16 knot) wind, usually flat water. I have smaller boards for higher winds.

Im looking for opinions on the ease-of-use vs. high performance of light air boards, in particular the importance of rocker, vee, and rail tuck. Ive looked at the AHD 299 and Fanatic Falcon 275, both in the 150 L range. The AHD is probably a little easier to ride, the Falcon probably a little faster. Since Im not a racer and my wife is an advanced beginner, I thought the AHD might be better, but I can get the seemingly higher-end Falcon for the same price. However, Id hate to have the race board and find out I cant have any fun on it. (I bought a used Mistral Energy years ago and couldnt get it to sail in a straight line comfortably and couldnt jibe it, sold it at a 50% loss and was happy to see it go!) Thanks for any opinions! -glen
allgood

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2000 2:43 pm    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Hi Glen: I purchased a Starboard Go last year & find it to be a great board. It will take a 2.5 to 10 metre sail. My 6 year old, 8 year old, and beginner wife use it and I can go out on it and have a blast in 10 knots of wind right up to about 18 knots. The price is really good on it as well. Regards, Jeffrey Allgood, Simcoe, Ont.
the-tribe

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2000 4:28 pm    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Check www.tribal.ca.tc

I am their designer
caswell

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2000 10:46 am    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

I have sailed most of the new wide style boards from starboard, mistrial,Bic,Northshore Maui,and AHD. I purchased the AHD Free Diamond 77. It was the most fun of all the boards and believe it or not it turns like a wave board. With an 8.0m and a 54 cm fin I can be powered up in 10-14 mph. This board is also very light for its 150 liters.The 77 is faster than all but the North Shore Maui race boards in light air and it turns better than any wide style currently on the market.
Huiz

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2000 2:53 pm    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Hi Glen,
Huiz

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2000 3:02 pm    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Hi Glen,
There are lots of really good light air borards out there, none of them sail like your energy. We have had a lot of success with both the Fanatic bee 144, and the F2 Xantos 290. Both have enough performance that you will have fun, yet are more forgiving for your wife.
Are you in Nj. I used to own a shop there, and I recognize your name.
Bob
jibemeister

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2000 6:36 pm    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Boy have I got a deal for you. I have an F2 305 Thommen in perfect condition. This board has 179 litres and is way faster than the AHD. I bought a new Protech and have no need for the 305. Contact me at lmoore@socal.rr.com.
ken_wong

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2000 11:31 am    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Kinetic Mission Free 76, 72 will have a nice rocker for flat water or choppy, you will enjoy the fun in the waters, light weight, good response
http://hello.to/kinetic
cascblu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 10:07 pm    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Check into the RRD Avantride 280; that is what I am getting for the very same situations. They could be a bit more fragile than some but also will pop up easier be fast and still good in small surf. Plus they allow trade ins.
breakwnd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 11:22 am    Post subject: RE: large volume, light air shortboards Reply with quote

Hi Bob,
Sorry to use this space Glen but I tried to visit Bobs shop when I visited NJ and was bummed to find it closed. I hope you and family are doing well Bob, I have twins of my own now and sailing time on the bay has decreased. Despite insane use the quiver I got through you is still going strong, although the bay eats equipment and sometimes sailors. If I ever get back to your area again I hope to jump & jibe with you and bill on the shore
thanks,Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: