myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
mast size

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistral266

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2000 6:37 am    Post subject: RE: mast size Reply with quote

i am using a fiberspar 460/25/25 mast on my pyro 5.5 and 6.5. it works fine. with a 4.5, i am not sure about but with anything down to a 5.5 you are fine.
gcarleton

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2000 12:46 pm    Post subject: RE: mast size Reply with quote

Im guessing that the 4.5 wont respond as well as designed, but you can still sail and have fun. Depends partly on the mast & sails. I use older North sails & masts and use a 440 on my 4.3 (long-end of recommended) and on my 3.7 (longer than recommended). Im not enough of a gear head to give you a detailed description of the effect, but the 3.7 feels stiff and doesnt seem to twist off (handle the gusts) as well as I think it could on a shorter mast. I still have fun. good luck!
lacorne

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 12:02 pm    Post subject: RE: mast size Reply with quote

Get a 3 piece delta mast, 4.60 convertible in a 4.30.
1 800 366 8584
long4wind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 9:58 pm    Post subject: RE: mast size Reply with quote

I dont recommend using a 460 mast on a 4.5 sail. I used to do this on my 4 year old Gastra 4.5. It was twitchy and the sail wanted to dive forward. When I switched to the 430 mast, it really made a big difference. The sail had much more range, and was more manageable. I suspect the more flexible mast improved the sails twistoff characteristics.
Remember, unless your a 100 pound person, a 4.5 is likely to be a highwind sail. And when in high winds, the last thing you want is a sail thats going to toss you over the handlebars.

I recommend, springing for extra $250 bucks for a 430 mast. Chances are, youll be able to use it for many of the sails in your quiver.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: