myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
FreeMove size 100-105-110L (Atom IQ vs Gecko)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anton, I've thoroughly enjoyed my friggin' strapless windSUP heavily powered by a 3.2 at over 30 kts average plus gusts to well over 35 windspeed in overhead swell plus big chop, and I've enjoyed sailing a 240 liter longboard with a folding plastic fin in winds at least that strong on flatter water overpowered with a 3.8. It's about the sailor's skill far more than the board. I believe you're placing far too much faith ... not to mention two thousand bucks ... into one or two individuals' personal experiences with a board. And without reading all your posts again, I have no idea why carbon is so important to you. I can't imagine you (or me) ever knowing the difference except by reading the label or drilling into it.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gvogelsang and Isobars you guys are a bit late. It's been a while now since Anton bought himself a Naish Starship 115 as far as I know and moved on. I'm sure he's dreaming 80ish liter quads now Wink so you better change the tune.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Gvogelsang and Isobars you guys are a bit late. It's been a while now since Anton bought himself a Naish Starship 115 as far as I know and moved on. I'm sure he's dreaming 80ish liter quads now Wink so you better change the tune.

And thank you for the update! Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we get older, our reflexes slow down. Very Happy
antonputman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Yeah I got a Naish Starship 115 which seems to be a good bet so far.
I have only been out on her about 4-5 times and I still need to find the right footstrap positions and high wind fins but the board is what I was looking for.
Good control in those 4.7 conditions, she handles 30 wind knots just fine. I am even thinking to get a 4.2 Ezzy Panther to use in 35 knots Very Happy

This board has a Vee all the way to the back and what they call tucked in rails. First I though gee this ain't gone be fast but she holds up very well. Not as fast as my previous Rocket I guess but sure good enough for me. She's not the earliest planer either because is no lightweight but I am happy with the solid construction and a closed cell core was a major plus.
I like the "classic" concept of the Naish Starship, no short n wide hypes.

So there you have it, my medium / high wind progression board with enough volume to get me safe back in. A board to finally nail my gybes on, start riding ocean swells and score my first jumps.
My light / medium board is the Exocet 10' WindSUP. Fantastic board. Another all-rounder.

Cheers!
antonputman

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah and to come back to the Atom vs Gecko.
I visited a well know surfshop close to Marseille France this winter were they sell any brand. Guy told me the Gecko has durability problems with decks going soft on quite e few boards. He highly rated the Atom IQ, as a freemover.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: