myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Eastern CT sailing spot
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dforstmann

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2000 8:14 pm    Post subject: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

I found a spot in CT that works in a springtime southwesterly when the ocean & sound are too cold to allow the wind to mix down to the surface at the coast. The site is Stoddard Hill State Park and its on the Thames River (more of an estuary actually) in Ledyard CT. The river here is oriented NE/SW so theres a decent fetch. Theres ample parking and grass to rig on thats protected from the wind. You do have to carry your rig across some RR tracks & down a small embankment to get to the water but its not too bad. I sailed here on the morning of 4/8 in 20 kts after driving to Ninigret in RI and Barn Island in Stonington, CT and finding 5-7 kts on the coast. Has anyone else sailed here? Whenever I go Im the only guy on the water.
healeyg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2000 6:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

ive never sailed there (btw yahoo says its gales ferry if i have the park correct) but will definitely try it. without being local, what is the best predicter / indicator of whether the site will blow?
dforstmann

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 4:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

Whenever the call is for a thermal from the SW and WHL is calling for better wind in the upper Narragansett bay (ie springtime) than on the coast I have had good luck here. I guess maybe it is in Gales Ferry. Im not sure where the town line is.
foltz

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2000 5:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

I swung by there 5/7, based on the IW forecast. It was definitely better than the coast, at about 12mph. Had to go all the way to Fogland to do better. I like the look of this spot, and will definitely be back.
DrWind

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 6:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

Great spot!!! Sailed there several weeks ago. Fully powered up on my 6.6. Winds were near 20 knots. On the shoreline, there was basically zip. The river is quite wide here and you can get in your straps and have fun. This spot would probably be good when winds are blowing from the north as well.

Unfortunately, I have been to busy at work recently, but may end up checking it out tomorrow afternoon.

Lars Vestergaard
(vesterlh@rocketmail.com)
EvelynByrne

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2000 7:59 am    Post subject: RE: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

Hi dforstman. Looks like a short ride just there at the park but if you go upwind to where the river is wider looks like a bigger ride. Do you do that? Are there hazards? Rocks, old pier pilings? etc. Is it good there other times of the year or just in the spring? Id like to try it.
pgarcia

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2000 11:57 am    Post subject: RE: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

duly noted and thanks
I live in Stmfd and am desperate to find SW locations other than Heckscher
Kevin O
DrWind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2000 8:02 am    Post subject: RE: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

There are a couple of spots where you launch from upwind from the park. At the intersection of RT.12 and Rt. 214, there is a place to park. It is a short walk down a hill to the water. BTW, had an excellent day there on a 5.0 on 6/25/00

Lars Vestergaard
dforstmann

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 9:25 am    Post subject: RE: Eastern CT sailing spot Reply with quote

There arent any hazards from the park launch except rocks but you have to get very close to shore to worry about it. The launch area is actually the side of an elevated railroad bed and the water gets deep quickly there. I have seen logs etc. floating which can be problematic when the sun is low & you are sailing on the westward tack. The wind does seem a little better downriver (upwind) and I have typically sailed upwind to get there but Im keen to try the spot vesterlh mentions in the 6/28 response.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: