myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
exocet Windsup 10 vs 11'8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: exocet Windsup 10 vs 11'8 Reply with quote

I've pretty much decided that the Windsup line presents the best combination of features that would suit me for my "do it all" board, question is which one ?

I can waterstart, straps, harness, just starting completing some of my duck jibes and plane out of carve jibes. Can do some LWFS like helitacks, UP360's, etc. I weigh 160# and already own a Carve 145, Skate 110 and RRD FSW 85 (and Kona One which I'm selling).

(1) Board requirements (probably in order of importance):

- more lively ride/ feel and earlier planing than the Kona One.
- Light wind planing with 7.0 and 8.5 sails, mostly inland location
- Light wind wave sailing.
- Light wind freestyle with smaller sails

(2) Secondary requirement

- Friendly use with beginners such as my kids...in case they get into the sport.

(3) I do not plan to SUP the board.

I'm leaning towards the 10 because I would guess that it will have a livelier ride and turn better than the 11'8, although it's my understanding that it will not catch waves as easily. The 11'8 would probably be smoother in chop, but I'm wondering if would be too sedate.

thanks in advance.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 10'x32" is a bit more free feeling when planing

the 11'8 is best for easy. it also will allow teaching to be way easier. also, it will allow a less technical set of either skills or conditions to wave sail. the board is stupid easy.

at the time i rode the 10'x32" the foot straps had to be used like a 4 strapper. one has to step into the opposite tack's rear strap to go strapped front side on a wave. there was no center strap set of inserts.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
ct-rex

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Exocet Windsup 10' vs 11'8" Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
the 11'8 is best for easy. it also will allow teaching to be way easier. also, it will allow a less technical set of either skills or conditions to wave sail. the board is stupid easy.

Jingebritsen, thanks for your many excellent reviews.

I, too, am deciding between a 11'8' and 10' Exocet windsup, mostly for Lake Michigan as well as for a couple of small trips each year to the northern FL pandhandle (Pensacola area). At 175 lbs, I'm an intermediate sailor (working on carve jibes) who, thanks to an ABK clinic, has also discovered the world of LWFS. LWFS = lots more TOW! Other boards include a 145L RRD Fireride, a 108L RRD FSW, and a a 171L Bic Techno Formula board (which I'm selling in order to get a windsup). Sails are 9.5, 8.5, 7, 6, 5.2 and 4.7.

In addition to using the windsup to practice lwfs, here are some other considerations:

Top 3 Considerations
- a board for me to sail (and, optimally, plane) in lightwind conditions. (As mentioned, my two biggest sails are 8.5 and 9.5). Which of the two boards would be better for this purpose?
- a good board for my wife (@135 lbs) -- who is in the harness and straps and is ready to learn how to plane -- as well as for my kids (ages 12, 10, and 5) who are learning the sport. How should I weigh these two boards for the other members of my family, given their abilities _and_ their sizes? (I understand that that the 11'8 is "stupid easy" but could the board's size actually be overkill for my wife and kids, given their size?)
- a board that will allow me to catch small waves easily. (Is it true that the 11'8 may be better than the 10' for this purpose? If so, can you or someone else explain why? As a newbie to wave sailing, I was assuming that the smaller board would allow for quicker turning onto waves, and, hence, better wave sailing?)

Other Considerations
- a board that can also function in SUP mode (which we would probably use about 25% of the time).
- ease of transporting the board (the 10' would fit in the interior of my car, whereas the 11'8" would not -- would need to use the roof rack and straps if I got the 11'8". Doable, but a little more of a hassle.)
- a durable board, given that my wife and kids would be using it as well, both for windsurf and SUP. Hence, I'm considering the Link construction.

I was initially inclined to go with the 10', but there are so many excellent reviews on the 11'8" that I'm wondering if we shouldn't be getting the latter. In light of the above considerations, I'd be grateful to get any insights, suggestions, and/or recommendations!
adywind

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are on the right track and I just want to make 2 points in addition :
1. The notion of planing all the time, every time to be able to have fun is inherently wrong IMO and is the reason behind potentially inadequate kit purchasing decisions. Practice moves and/or elements of moves instead, slog and surf if you have access to waves -like on the Great Lakes for example-then you wouldn't need too long of a boards, nor will you be sweating trying to maneuver too big of a rigs.
2. "Liveliness" just doesn't fit in the same sentence with long boards
From my own experience. I have a vey "lively" for Windsup standards Starboard Converse 9'/30"/136L and even though it is heavily wave biased I feel lucky when I do more then one turn on a short Lake Michigan wave with it, jumping of course is out of question. In fact I'm seriously considering replacing it with a ~100L wave board next year for that same year /not a big fan of paddling/. I chose such a small Windsup based solely on maneuverability and I don't realy care for planing in light winds, but I've paid my fare share of trials and errors untill I came to those conclusions.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the water from a good session on the 11'8 with a 6.4 sail in about 15 mph onshore wind and choppy small waves.

Nice to be able to switch between blasting around planing and riding waves in the same session without changing gear.

I've experimented with different foostrap setups on the board and recently settled on using the outboard footstraps. When riding a wave I have my back foot out of the strap, between the back straps, or even further back than the straps if I really need to stomp on the tail.

I'd love to try the 10'0 because as nice as the 11'8 is, it's just a bit too huge for me to whip around on the waves like I'd like to. For someone 200+ lbs the 11'8 would be perfect.

adywind

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
I just got off the water from a good session on the 11'8 with a 6.4 sail in about 15 mph onshore wind and choppy small waves.

Nice to be able to switch between blasting around planing and riding waves in the same session without changing gear.

I've experimented with different foostrap setups on the board and recently settled on using the outboard footstraps. When riding a wave I have my back foot out of the strap, between the back straps, or even further back than the straps if I really need to stomp on the tail.

I'd love to try the 10'0 because as nice as the 11'8 is, it's just a bit too huge for me to whip around on the waves like I'd like to. For someone 200+ lbs the 11'8 would be perfect.

What do you think about using a big wave board instead-over 100L , there are up to 120L wave boards currently offered -for the same purpose. This is the question that currently intrigues me, since I'm not paddling or long distance cruising and I'm not satisfied of how my 9' Windsup turns /there might be better ones though/ and I'm not going to use bigger then 5.8 sail for the same wave riding reasons. I suspect that there is a significant group of likeminded windsurfers, which has triggered the creation of such mutant boards like the Blackbox /now offered in 107L aswell/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beware the spreadsheets and other off the water concerns, and extrapolations. those box boards still require planing conditions and tend to stink in onshore app's.

the 10 footer will allow one a bit better turning at the expense of all the power the 11'8" has to spare to grab waves way off peak and well off the wind.

10 footer needs more finesse and timing to get on a wave.

if one has not had an extensive experience with long boards, perhaps one should gain more experience before one types stuff (read, uninformed opinions) one knows little about on the www? i have been on plenty of lively long boards, and, unfortunately, way more that are logs for the past 32 years of windsurfing.

LUCARO

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that unless you plan on lots of wave sailing you would benefit from the added length of the 11'8"
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, the definition of wave sailing changes once one has a long booard.

why paddle if you have a board that allows one to sail in under 10 mph? i sail in the waves more now than i ever did once i started using long boards.

happiest days are when the wind is side off, less than 10 mph average with a 6 foot wave or larger on tap.

LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
actually, the definition of wave sailing changes once one has a long booard.

why paddle if you have a board that allows one to sail in under 10 mph? i sail in the waves more now than i ever did once i started using long boards.

happiest days are when the wind is side off, less than 10 mph average with a 6 foot wave or larger on tap.

Not sure if you misunderstood or not, but I was not referring to extra length for paddling (although this would be a plus too). If the board is going to be sailed in flat water I think the added length of a longer board would have more advantages than disadvantages.

I dig sailing my 11'5" in flatwater when wind is marginal and I would choose it over my 10'5" and minitanker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: