myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sunglasses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 6:19 pm    Post subject: Sunglasses Reply with quote

OK so we all know that we should be wearing some kind of sunglasses when sailing, but most of whats available really just doesnt work for windsurfing. Or at least, it just seems a lot more fun to not hassle with sunglasses. Does anyone have anything that really works and that doesnt really feel in the way or fog up or get covered in water droplets?++
jimsilverman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2000 7:39 pm    Post subject: RE: Sunglasses Reply with quote

I buy inexpensive glasses from Sports Authority. If lost or scratched just toss out. Pretty good coverage and I dont care what I use to clean them because I know Ill toss them or lose them soon.
orthowind

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2000 9:23 am    Post subject: RE: Sunglasses Reply with quote

use rain-x on lenses to keep them clear. $8 polarized from fishing dept at sports authority are usually good for about half a season.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 1:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Sunglasses Reply with quote

My sailing shades also cost almost a hundred dollars ... for 10 pairs. I found some I like -- brown/yellow for contrast and sharper vision, sorta wrap-around for thorough protection from spray and uv, polycarbonate for eye protection, snug-fitting, and 99% uv protection -- and bought a pile of them a few years ago. I throw away a pair or two a year when they get too scratched up or when they get too fogged and I get too POd to tolerate them under my helmet. More expensive shades add little but style and maybe mechanical durability, and ya cantt chuck em cause theyre fogged over.
Mike \m/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 1:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Sunglasses Reply with quote

Oops ... forgot ... I, and about a third of the people Ive polled about it, cant wear polarized glasses when sailing. Polarization feeds our two eyes a slightly different view of a choppy surface, resulting in a disorienting view of the water. After all, fishermen wear polarized lenses because they allow them to see THROUGH the waters surface to the fish below, yet we WANT to see the surface.

And I agree the Rain-X is a big improvement in water shedding.

Mike \m/
dcrispin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 1:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Sunglasses Reply with quote

My Hobie Phantoms are polarized and wrap around and go everywhere. The company has been great about replacment due to a cracked frame (not broken lens) from a crash. Polarized lenses offer total glare reduction and wrap arounds keep 99% of spray out. Just keep the sunscreen away from the lenses and I have no problems with waterspots.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 5:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Sunglasses Reply with quote

late on this one, but I just found a great pair of sunglasses that FLOAT and work great!
They are called BOMBERS! $17.95 unpolarized, and $29.95 polarized. I got them in Maui at Maui Windsurf Co.
They look cool, and function as regular sunglasses, but float as well.

I agree the unpolarized are better to see the surface, however the polarized helps spot the sharks.. doh!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: