myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freestyle boards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2000 6:01 pm    Post subject: Freestyle boards? Reply with quote

To those who have spent some time on the new Freestyle boards -- any drawbacks? or are these boards pretty much the way to go from now on for medium and high wind sailing?
ian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2000 6:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Freestyle boards? Reply with quote

Freestyle boards = Best thing since sliced bread! Speaking of slicing, while everyone else is shlogging you can be ripping! Down to about 5.0 the freestyle class of boards is unbeliveable. Small waves ok, flat water ok.....

Ian
levb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2000 7:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Freestyle boards? Reply with quote

I am a heavy (200+ lbs) sailor and have an F2 Air 260 as my bigger board.

I love it in the 6.0 conditions (that is when most people are on their 5.0-5.5s), the biggest sail I used it with was a 7.2 and it was fine. I also use it in the windy but holey conditions a lot, with a 5.3. When its solid 5.3 I usually switch to the wave 254 board.

i can only think of a couple drawbacks.

One is that with a huge tail, landing the bigger jumps may be a bit challenging, a smaller wave-style fin helps a lot.

The other is that the board is fairly wide, and for someone of my weight does not ride stiff enough in the chop, in places like Crissy or Coyote you can almost feel it vibrating under your feet as you go through the chop.

It jibes wonderfully, is very stable, and the width compensates for the relatively small volume, even at slogging speeds.

Hope this helps

- Lev
michal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2000 4:19 am    Post subject: RE: Freestyle boards? Reply with quote

I am about 185lb. What would be the right size of a freestyle for me in Bay Area conditions (Bodega/Larspur/Delta)?
Volumes ~96l or ~104l?

I have a smaller wave board, about 80l.

Michal
levb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2000 10:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Freestyle boards? Reply with quote

I am heavier and I feel quite comfortable with the F2 260 (93-95 liters or so).

it is WIDE. Very stable.
petedorr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 9:16 am    Post subject: Looking for freestyle board help Reply with quote

Im still on my old Bic E-Rock and will try my best to break it this year. Once broken it can be replaced Smile
I also have a Bic Alto that I will keep but would like to go to 1 board that I can use my 4.2,5.0,6.2 sails on.

Sounds like Air 260 is a good size for 190-200 pounders.

Anyone try the new Bic ?Tabou 3S? It looks to be between the Air 260 and 265 size wize.

The F2 page says the Air 260 can be sailed from low 4s to 6.0+. Anyone have experience with a 4.2 sail on the board ?
kenkimball

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 8:35 am    Post subject: RE: Freestyle boards? Reply with quote

I sail the air 260 and use it in 4.7-6.3 conditions. I have more fun on it than any board in 15 years of sailing.At 150lbs its almost the only board I need to sail hudson river and ocean.It works great in gusty conditions and makes poor waves and wind seem better than they really are.I plane through more jibes and complete more tricks.Once you spend soom time on it and use the slalom strap set-up it sails up wind and fast enough so very few sailers are blowing by you.

**************Ithose who have spent some time on the new Freestyle boards -- any drawbacks? or are these boards pretty much the way to go from now on for medium and high wind sailing?
WAVEDAVE

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Freestyle boards? Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: