myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to windsurfing, will this board be suitable?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gdawson6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: New to windsurfing, will this board be suitable? Reply with quote

Hi everybody...I've been dreaming about windsurfing (and kiting) for some time now. I finally have a little money to get some equipment, and was planning on taking some beginner lessons somewhere around Los Angeles (I'm guessing Long Beach).

So someone was selling this board locally for only $50. Its a JP Australia Free race 127" board. I need to repair some small damage on the deck but other than some dings it will certainly float.

I know there are a lot of other pieces of equipment to get to actually windsurf, but does that board seem like a decent board to start with for someone who is 175lbs?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

00y0y_ijA3CclIfuu_600x450.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  16.03 KB
 Viewed:  19050 Time(s)

00y0y_ijA3CclIfuu_600x450.jpg

adywind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dude, this board is to small for a 175 lbs first timer. The number 127 describes volume in liters and it is not even close to what you need to start with. Look for something 180L or more and better yet book yourself a few windsurfing lessons where they'll introduce you to the basics in technique and equipment.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book 4 lessons on a larger board and this board could work for you if you are nimble and athletic. I'd bet that someone on this site would have an old board in their garage to loan you.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or even give you, if you are willing to go pick it up.
gdawson6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, well the places I was looking at getting lessons in Los Angeles (Captain Kirks) provides the equipment during a lesson so I guess that would be a good place to start.

I am athletic and nimble but I'll see how it feels after getting a lesson. If anyone is interested in giving paid lessons in the Long Beach area feel free to contact me, I'm a quick learner Smile
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get a good start in the sport, it's really important to have directional ability in the lighter winds optimum for learning. To get that, you really can benefit by having ample board volume (180-250 liters) and a daggerboard. The latter is really key to overcoming the often frustrating beginner stage. Depending on how quickly you pick up the basics of handling a sail, launching and returning to the same spot, and successfully tacking to change directions will determine how long you need a beginner setup. For myself, it didn't take long, but for some the obstacles can be a lot tougher to overcome. However, it's an addictive sport, especially once you begin to experience the sensation of planing and being locked-in in the footstraps.

Selecting a longboard like the Kona One that can easy plane is an excellent choice, since it's a board that you can never outgrow particularly in the lighter winds so common in the greater LA area. A season or two of sailing should place you on the direction you want to go, and then you can invest in the best equipment to optimize your time on the water. Be it wave sailing, racing or just freeriding about, there's the right equipment out there.

Lastly, in starting the sport, it is crucial that you go in with the right attitude and prepare to be humbled a bit. I found that if I could be light and laugh a bit about the frustrations I experienced, it helped immensely. To get too serious and upset, is counterproductive. Work to remain upbeat, and you will quickly succeed.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to the last. Keep a good attitude. Windsurfing is the most rewarding sport there is. BUT it takes skills that are attained over time. It can be a bit frustrating at first. You must learn "long board" skills first. IE: balance and sail handling. This is best done on a large high volume board. At 127 liters and your body weight it will be difficult to learn those skills. NOT impossible.
For 50 bucks if that board is not water logged, it would make a great next step board. I would get lessons with Captain Kirks or with the guys that sail the inside at Cabrillo beach. Nice crew there and a safe place to learn. They might have a give away that will fit your needs. .OR a starter board to teach you on. Both options will work. Another option is a ABK windsurfing camp. Check it out on the web. Its best to go to one that is at a warm shallow location like South padre Island. Pro instruction is worth the money to speed up the learning curve. The bay area still offers windsurfing schools and instruction... Good luck
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS..... you just missed the seal beach swap meet. Lots of "stuff" cheap that would have fit your needs. I'll email the guy that puts it on to see if he has something to help you out
gdawson6

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input and encouragement. I'm going to see if I can get my first lesson within a few weeks.
HobieWanKenobi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Long Beach windsurfer and sail there and Seal Beach frequently. We have a Crew that sail together Tuesday evenings next to the Leeway sailing center in Alamitos Bay. Jeff the Owner of Long Beach Windsurf Center is usually there sailing. He also teaches lessons here in Long Beach. I am usually there between 4-7. Hope to see you Tuesday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: