myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mistral Competition Fin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quintmatthew1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Mistral Competition Fin Reply with quote

I was having a blast on a old Mistral Competition board and hit something. When I started to spin I realized that I had lost my back fin. Is there a place that sells the specific Mistral fins or a good aftermarket fin that will fit the board.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  22117 Time(s)

image.jpg

DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fin box in the picture looks like an "A-box." Most A-box fins will fit, but A-box slots can be too narrow or too short for a particular fin. I think more boards had A-box fins than any other variety. I think most fins in the US up to about 35 cm today are A-box fins and there are larger older ones. They should be easy for you to find from either dealers or individuals.

In the US the A-box is also referred to sometimes as a "standard" box.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In older European boards, it should be noted that they were often using the A Box concept, but the depth of the box was deeper overall. They were what is now considered an E Box. One can use A Box fins in an E Box, but it's best to fill the open space below the base of the fin with something. A piece of appropriately sized wood or plastic can be used, but one can also use a segment of rope or line too.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, what Steve says about E boxes. Sometimes a pencil is a perfect
stabilizer for an A tab in a Euro box.

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
In older European boards, it should be noted that they were often using the A Box concept, but the depth of the box was deeper overall. They were what is now considered an E Box. One can use A Box fins in an E Box, but it's best to fill the open space below the base of the fin with something. A piece of appropriately sized wood or plastic can be used, but one can also use a segment of rope or line too.

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having just purchased a Mistral COMP SST I would VERY interested on your feedback !!!

how much you weigh, winds & conditions board is used in with sail sizes ...

I am a HEAVYweight of 105+ kilos and hope to use this board in 20 kph in longboard mode, but also in 20-40 kph with an 8-oh planing

http://joewindsurfer.blogspot.com/2015/03/mistral-competition-sst.html

thanks in advance
quintmatthew1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am relatively lightweight only weighing 150 pounds (68 kg). Generally I am using it in winds from 20-40 kph and a 5.7m sail. I am in the gulf so I have some chop when it is windy. I am more focused on straight line speed instead on maneuverability. I am still new at this so I will probably be wrong but I think I would be best with a straight fin that is about 30?? cm. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks on the information on the fin box. I thought that was what it was but I wanted to be sure before I bought the wrong thing.

Matt
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A and E box seem to max out at about 30 cm
since you are in Florida , is there a shop where you can bring your board and have them fit your board with a fin ??

wide and thick chord Smile
(some say slim for speed, but i like my tinho dornellas fin on my equipe i)
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't assume you can simply fill the E-box with a spacer and you are good to go. The reason E-boxes were used in the first place has to do with the materials and construction of the boards, not to make life difficult in the 1980s.

Most E-boxes were multi-piece assemblies installed into a female cavity itself molded into the bottom side of polyethylene hulls. Those boards that rarely reinforced around the box cavity itself given the blow-molding method used to make the boards. Mistral Competitions are different in construction, but similar in the way the molded box cavity accepts the box that itself is screwed into the cavity using very small screws.

Since the A-box fin fills only 2/3 of the E-box depth, the box fails to transfer the fin torque to the cavity with enough dispersion. The box then begins to twist and may ultimately fail by snapping the box, cracking old epoxy or glue that held box pieces together or ripping the mounting screws right out of the board.

That plastic box is about 30 years old and getting more brittle by the day. I strongly advise not using anything but an actual E-box fin. They actually are very common in freeride boards that don't use Tuttle.

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to admit Dan, old fin designs for old Mistrals Competitions were actually quite short in depth in contrast with today's view of things. But, you're right if you're interested in using longer fins to coincide with bigger sails. Yet, using relatively small A Box fins, the risk isn't too bad if the condition of the board is generally pretty good.
A8A8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are anywhere near Tallahassee, I can scare up several old mistral fins, one from an IMCO, the other from another old mistral board
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: