myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Nissan Murano/Honda Pilot Etc. For WS Vehicle???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
donwh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Nissan Murano/Honda Pilot Etc. For WS Vehicle??? Reply with quote

Reposted my original post in the wrong group (General WS Discussion).
Still looking at vehicles that would hold 2 boards etc. inside with the seats folded like my Volvo XC 70. Anyone use a Murano? How 'bout a Honda Pilot? Thanks.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Murano/Honda Pilot Etc. For WS Vehicle??? Reply with quote

donwh wrote:
Reposted my original post in the wrong group (General WS Discussion)..

Isn't that where it belongs for maximum exposure, or are Muranos and Pilots unique in the East?
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CX-9.....Best vehicle I have ever owned. Mine is 6 years old and looks and drives like new. Excellent quality , ride and style . You can pick one up coming off a two year lease for short money. Take the head rest off passenger seat and move all the way forward and down and it is almost flat. Easily fit two boards stacked inside.. Murano to small, Pilot to boxy and boring IMO..

Last edited by mat-ty on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
justall

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Murano/Honda Pilot Etc. For WS Vehicle??? Reply with quote

donwh wrote:
How 'bout a Honda Pilot?

Note sure if you are thinking new/used, so this might not help. But, I have the old Acura version of the Pilot, MDX. I can laydown the rear seats and tilt back the front passenger seat as far as it will go (and remove the headrest) to get 2 boards, 4 sails and 2 masts inside. Since the seats won't go flat, the equipment tilts back from the front to back, which I like as water rolls to the back and collects in a plastic drop cloth I have underneath everything and folded up like a cheap bedliner in the back. Though, that orientation is when the wife isn't in tow. If I put the two boards on the roof, and everything else inside, I don't have to put the front passenger seat back, but she has to slide around the mast to get in. She doesn't complain.
dasey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Pilot experince Reply with quote

I've had three pilots. With the front seat laid back and back seats down, I can get three boards flat and one along side, eight (incl a 9.4m) sails, three booms, 5 masts and all else, and still have a little room for the 85 lb. dog. I also have a roof rack, if I want to take a 5th board. It takes a little while to figure out how to pack it, but it works.
Sunliner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife talked me into buying an Outback a few years ago. I can easly fit 2-3 boards and several rigs inside plus another person. If the whole family comes its low enough to easly put everything on the roof.

Outback-full.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.84 KB
 Viewed:  19094 Time(s)

Outback-full.jpg

donwh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Nissan Murano/Honda Pilot Etc. For WS Vehicle? Highlander? Reply with quote

OP here. That pic is what I do with my Volvo, you can still have a rear seat open as well. Another car possibility, thanks!
Any thoughts on a Toyota Highlander, say, '05-'10?
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Nissan Murano/Honda Pilot Etc. For WS Vehicle? Highlander? Reply with quote

donwh wrote:
OP here. That pic is what I do with my Volvo, you can still have a rear seat open as well.

Slightly off topic, but do you strap that top board down? I would be very concerned about that board damaging the windshield in a hard stop situation. With my WS vehicle (Honda Element), I remove the back seats, lay the front passenger seat down and slide it forward. Sails go behind front passenger seat and the boards (2 or 3) are stacked deck down resting on the sails & front passenger seat. In the back, a tie down belt is used to secure the boards against the side of the car by looping the strap through the rear seat mounting hardware on the floor and the grab bar at the ceiling. In the front, the noses of the boards are tucked into the foot well/dash board storage area and are strapped down securely to the front seat using a heavy bungee cord - everything is held below dash board level.

I would not want to be in a car with unsecured boards that could end up flying around in a hard stop or crash situation.

sm
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the Outback wholeheartedly! I just got it to replace my beloved Montero, it holds all my gear in style, and - yes - is low enough to put things on the roof in a controlled manner. Yes, I do loop the seat belt around the board, so it does not come slamming forward during an emergency stop
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We still use the Mit Montero in Puerto Rico for all our windsurf gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: