myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water inside my Exocet 10' WindSUP!! * SOLVED *
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputman wrote:
@ isobars, I think you forgot to mention that your doctor forbade you to use straps after a foot injury, that's why you got the strapless Sealion right?

Right. But I chose to avoid mentioning the injury this time because it is irrelevant to my post above, whose message was that except for air time, we can quickly adapt to strapless sailing even in serious wind. Walking around on a big deck is fun and different and educational, but it's no substitute for straps for me.
antonputman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2,
I always take a GPS with me for safety reasons. My top speed on the WindSUP so far is 23 knots. That was on a downwinder with my 5.5 (4.7 would have been better) in almost 30 knots offshore wind. Such a rush, it felt almost like sailing a small dinghy downwind.

You get so much more than a light wind wave board. I have done some fantastic freeriding on it, that's where the footstraps come in too. Whilst most WindSUP's would be defined as a SUP that can be windsurfed, I would prefer to say it is a windsurf board that can be paddled.
If one had too choose a one quiver board, the 10' WindSUP would be the ticket. It is a very cool package for anyone looking to exploit many conditions, water states etc with one piece of equipment.
You can literally use it from 0 - 25 knots crossing over from flat water paddling all the way up to wave riding, to moderate wind freeride blasting. The board is so versatile it continues to amaze me. A session saver in many occasions.
- Of course an all round board is always a compromise, like many things in life.

My only complains are the weight and the dagger board gasket. The daggerboard itself has been useful to me in many situations, from quickly heading out upwind to coming in in unstable offshore winds. I also used it half way down to prevent weed around the fin. All in all an added security which comes with a price; weight and the gasket. I have glued the leading edge of the gasket now and use McLube for lubrification.

Apart from my own little review I wrote when I got the board I looked up an email from Rod Rudduck, Kona One importer for NZ when I was researching the 10' WindSUP.

Rod Rudduck wrote:

Hi Anton,

Yes, I am still enjoying the 10' Windsup. I really only sail it on flat water, and not so much SUP. the times I have paddled it, it was nice and stable, and much better than the Kona.

I was out yesterday, fully powered on a 7.5 Speedfreak and it was a very good session. Fast reaches and good jibes, not bad for a windsup board Smile

It is definitely the best all round board I have owned. I am a big fan of the step tail design, and really believe it works, which is why I think the board is so good at both windsurfing and wave applications.

I am not a good jiber, but it jibes better than any other board I have owned, which makes me think it would do well in waves.

I came across that guy when I was researching before buying it. I guess any board can have defects. We even had a Kona break in half after only light use by a lightweight, but I suspect that was due to hidden damage during shipping, but will never know. My bamboo top Windsup seems to be as well made as any other board, and I have been well powered on a 6.5 and not had any issues.

The centreboard gasket is the weakest part of it, and mine started to rip at the front, but because I don't use the centreboard, I have put tape over it.

I briefly owned the RRD and didn't like it. It sailed OK, and turned well, but the nose is too flat, so with a decent fin on it to get good windsurfing performance out of it, it pushed the nose too low in the water and was always catching on the chop.

I just don't see how the traditional banana rocker boards can be as good at windsurfing, so with the step tail being key, I do really recommend it for your 70% windsurfing / 30% SUP
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputman wrote:

Rod Rudduck wrote:

I briefly owned the RRD and didn't like it ... the nose is too flat, so with a decent fin on it to get good windsurfing performance out of it, it pushed the nose too low in the water and was always catching on the chop.

I just don't see how the traditional banana rocker boards can be as good at windsurfing, so with the step tail being key, I do really recommend it for your 70% windsurfing / 30% SUP

Isn't the whole point of strapless boards (or sailing out of the straps) the freedom to walk around the deck and weight our feet until it's trimmed properly for the task at hand, both long term and dynamically? In just one off-the-lip/bottom turn cutback sequence (in side-on conditions), I'm (1) stepping on and weighting the lee tail to jam it off the lip, (2) weighting the front foot at just the right time to drop the nose into the trough to initiate or keep planing depending on my entry power and speed ... or keeping my weight aft if really powered and diving straight downwind into the back of the next swell, (3) moving the back foot to the windward tail and weighting it to keep the nose out of the chop and initiate the cutback, (4) shifting feet and weighting fore and aft dynamically ... maybe even jibing my feet if reversing direction temporarily ... depending on any proactive or reactive diversions from the basic S-turn path, and ultimately (5) hitting the next lip at (1) again. When linking many such turns from swell to swell to swell to swell as the wind varies from not enough to too much, I'm dancing about as fast as I can. But in my first season at that, learning from scratch with a board with a very flat-looking nose, I never once stuck the nose even when diving dead downwind into the back of the next swell at full power. Yet steps (1) and (2) are easy even from a slog.

That's what lots of rocker can do for a big board. The downsides include less top speed and less glide, but for me the maneuverability gain is worth those costs.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anton, sounds like a lot of fun.

Your post is really making me think about the right board for different conditions.

My Naish Freeride 130L with a step tail and straps is not far from the 10' WindSUP specs. About 1 foot shorter and 45L less volume. If there is enough wind to plane easily I would prefer to be on that board. To go fast I need the foot straps, and it turns really easily.

However, I can't use a WindSUP sail on it, it is not stable enough. I also can't SUP on it, and on light wind days it feels slow and I sink a bit in the water and the 7.5 sail feels heavy with not enough wind.

So in light wind or no wind my BIC 10'6 WindSUP is fun, and the WindSUP sail is fun in the light wind, it is light, you can feel the wind in it, and it actually has a lot of pull even in light wind.

So I can see how you have combined two boards, my WindSUP and my Freeride, with the 10' WindSUP. It is a great option for those looking for one board for all conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: