myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstraps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tropical, schmopical. I need neoprene mittens, a neoprene hood, and a 5 mil dry suit before I need booties. Get used to chilly -- not numb or painful -- feet and one can sail barefooted down to the mid 40s. That, or find some unusually good booties and more easily adjustable foot straps.

Besides, even bootied feet get cold on shore ... unless you step into a pair of Bogs Classic Mids. They extend my barefoot sailing season, and thus save some strap adjustments, by warming my feet on shore.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Booties here on Long Island is more for protection than thermal. Although my oneil freaks or super freaks or whatever they call them (they are 6mm/5mm/4mm) they are awesome. I almost think I should wear than instead of my snow boots.

Anyway.....thanks for all the replies. I'll post a review of whatever straps I end up getting/trying
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Maui Sails straps, are different than the majority , no DaKine that I have seen are like this.

they use velcro to secure the top and inside layer, the difference is the inside goes through the metal ring, cinches back to secure to the inside velcro then the top layer to that. As stated it is easy to adjust.

photo above is a MOO Custom , center below, AFAIK they are close to the Maui Sails units without having them in hand. The Prolimit on right is kite board strap came with a Witchcraft from Bulgaria. The Da Kine is a X-Lace Wave, adjustment by the red plastic cord, works ok not great, several other variations of the DK were or are still around.

all 3 have easy adjustment features. The straps that have the most problems with adjustment are those that use multi layers of velcro against each other to ADJUST the length and curvature .

skyking I would consider ordering the Maui Sails units, and if not shown to work like the tin says, return.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for GT Feetbelts, my faves for many years, perfect combo of firmness & comfort, with the easiest top adjustment I've seen. Only thing to remember is to mount then so the water can't tear them open in a jibe, otherwise they'll hold your adjustment forever. Available through www.windsurfdeal.com
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP, to address the "easy to adjust" and "comfort" part of your original question, these can be subjective. Much like anything else in our sport, they are a very personal thing!

The ones you like depend on your feet (flat, wide, long), how open you set them, whether you wear booties, your riding style and what type of sailing you do.

To me a footstrap that's easy to adjust is a footstrap that gets set correctly whether I loosen or tighten it. Some "quick adjust" models may be faster to access but not adjust the footstrap as precisely as others.

I like my straps to feel solid/firm, well-padded, not twisty and not stretchy (loss of control).

This is a video I made detailing each strap and its adjustment system and how they feel, it can be found in my "tips & tricks" section (http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/#section-tips-and-tricks)

I'm not fond of the wide kite-type straps especially wearing booties, as they don't offer as much range of motion inside and it's difficult to curl up the toes when riding farther out on the rail (to go upwind).

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice footstrap video, all 20 minutes of it.

3 points.

The dry weight needs to be compared to the wet weight, different constructions and materials will absorb more/less water.

Your feet will be different from most, most will be different from yours.

your preference will be different from most.

The discussion is the Maui Sails units, or maybe ones that are similar.

RX the NP in the video

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
skyking1231

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video. And here I thought straps were pretty much all the same.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not even CLOSE. The difference in adjusting a set of internal vs external straps on the water is several frustrating minutes fighting tooth and nail as the board flips in the waves vs 20-30 seconds of bliss ... followed by a repeat when the first approximation proves wrong. I was not joking when I said "they" couldn't pay me to use internal adjusting straps. I'd almost rather use tie-on rubber booms.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i got the mauisails straps.... they don't appear to be as easy to adjust as i thought. I'll have to mount these on the board to determine if they are 'easy or easier' to adjust.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: