myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Safety foot strap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could find the guy who made those foot saver foot straps I'll bet he still has boxes of them in his garage, not like they were hot sellers.
One idea to keep your foot from sliding in too far would be to attach the front part of a booty to the foot straps.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of toe jam, with likely sore toenails for days afterward, with that approach. I get those even with normal booties unless my booties' ankle straps are cinched down very tightly.
szorftabor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Wao Reply with quote

That looks pretty cool just like on my video to http://szorf-iskola.hu
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:05 pm    Post subject: I have a set of three that I never installed Reply with quote

I have a set of three that I never installed
Still sitting in the original shipping box.
All the original instructions . I think they are the medium size
models . He make 5 sizes and also had different safety release
strengths , soft , regular and hard. I can see where it would be easy
too loose the pins.
Is anybody interested I would let them go at the original price
of 25 each.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think anyone ever experimented with magnets instead of footstraps? I'm imagining a magnetic shoe with polar magnets mounted in the board. No footstraps.

Used only for beginners or those learning to freeride. As your foot gets close to the spot, you don't look, it just gets "sucked in" to perfect position? No footstraps to stumble over?

Could be quick release if you fall, depending on magnet strength. Just push up or twist to release the bond if you want to get out?

Could this possibly work to help those learning? Downside could be your back foot gets stuck in your front magnetic spot as your walking around. Maybe a left and right foot opposite magnet would solve that? Other crazy idea would use very small 4 watt electro magnets (D cell battery) with 25 lbs of holding power per foot, rigged to release your feet when you break the connection on you boom or something? Magnets can be incredibly small and powerful. Hey, I'm just thinking out loud.
harris52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To anyone scared about foot injuries in footstraps (and I concur that this can be a problem)... I really highly recommend looking at the Dakine Contours. Every board I own has them. I have never once been scared for my foot in over ten years of using them - including wavesailing with my feet way in the straps. Normal footstraps I had numerous scares and one injury over the previous ten to that. I think part of the reason they work so well is they flex. I actually think this is a problem basically solved. They are the most worthwhile piece of spare accessories on my setup.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the Contours, but my danged 18V drill banged the heck out of my leg in jumps and rough reaches and the salt water did a number on the motor. It's also pretty tricky to avoid reaming out the Phillip screw heads when adjusting the straps the 3rd or 4th time to get it right. Smile

I'll stick with the externally adjustable straps like their ProForm (and X-Lace) or Chinook's strap. Adjustment times differ by something like 10 seconds per strap for the externals vs full minutes for the internals, and the former is physically simpler by at least 95% and infinitely less frustrating.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: