myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Should have some great wind in the Gorge soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Should have some great wind in the Gorge soon Reply with quote

I decided to unload all my windsurfing gear from the Sprinter today. Than means it should be really windy soon in the Gorge...... Laughing
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Should have some great wind in the Gorge soon Reply with quote

Looking for flights now.

-Craig

p.s. leave that stuff in your garage until late August. ;*)

johnl wrote:
I decided to unload all my windsurfing gear from the Sprinter today. Than means it should be really windy soon in the Gorge...... Laughing
brettn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: La ventana Reply with quote

Like the idea of a couple of weeks in La Ventana. My business is dead all of December. Even found a VRBO that's affordable. Flights into La Paz are upwards of a grand per ticket however. For four this is getting spendy. Is there a trick to getting to La Paz affordably? I guess I could save 600 per ticket by flying into San Jose del Cabo and rent a car. With a car I could mosey over to Cerritos for a surf...
windfind

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brettn,

Most people fly into Los Cabos since it is cheaper due to all the tourists. You can find shuttle contact information on Ventana View (IM me for address). The price will be about $60/person. You can also rent a car but be aware that you have to buy Mexican insurance which will almost double the price quoted on the web for a car. If you are at a house in or near the village of La Ventana you can get by without a car which saves lots of money.

Be aware that many of the houses that look on or near the water on maps actually have gnarly launch sites due to boulders, coral and sea urchins. Ask Gorge sailor Doug who had a complex broken leg last season just landing on the beach windsurfing.

The best launch sites are at the south end of the campground or near Baja Joe's or just south of the hot springs past El Sargento.

I know of a couple of nice and very inexpensive house rentals within walking of distance of that last good launch site. Just send me a mail at mike@iwindsurf.com

There is lots of information at the iwindsurf.com Baja Guide as well as free onsite wind forecasts:

http://blog.weatherflow.com/baja-guide-by-mike-godsey/

Be sure to check out the maps for driving from the Los Cabos airport to La Ventana. Easy to miss your turn in the dark the first time.

Feel free to mail be for any questions about La Ventana stuff.

Here is a video of La Ventana windsurfing and some other videos of the area:

http://windnotes.phanfare.com/4743675_5625356

Have fun,

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

ZZ2C82AC34.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  194.26 KB
 Viewed:  10713 Time(s)

ZZ2C82AC34.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched that whole video, and it really does come close to being there on the water. Pretty cool.
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: La ventana Reply with quote

brettn wrote:
Like the idea of a couple of weeks in La Ventana. My business is dead all of December. Even found a VRBO that's affordable. Flights into La Paz are upwards of a grand per ticket however. For four this is getting spendy. Is there a trick to getting to La Paz affordably? I guess I could save 600 per ticket by flying into San Jose del Cabo and rent a car. With a car I could mosey over to Cerritos for a surf...

It depends on where you are. There are cheap flights on Volaris from TJ to La Paz. Volaris runs a bus from San Diego to the TJ airport.
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Doing my research. Looks like fun. It's down to getting on a plane to La Ventana or doing a 30-hour drive to PSC.

PSC in December? Lighter wind and probably pretty decent surf?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: