myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind strength Oahu vs Kauai
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Wind strength Oahu vs Kauai Reply with quote

Anyone able to compare wind strength Oahu to Kauai? School holidays coming up in early October so my wife is planning a trip to Kauai. We went to Maui over the summer holidays so she doesn't want to go back again so soon. Should I take my wave sailing kit to Kauai? How does the wind on Kauai compare to Oahu? It would cost $35 each way from Honolulu on Hawaiian Airlines.

We moved to Oahu from Los Angeles 6 months ago and the wave sailing has been fantastic but even lighter than Los Angeles. A lot more sailable days than LA if you lower your wind minimums - seems like 160 out of the last 180 days have had 12 mph or better wind. 12-14 mph is my go to wind strength now for slog and ride.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In wind strength, very comparable between Backyards and DumpTruck/Tunnells. For 150 lbs'ers, usually 95 liter wave board and 5.8 sails.
Don't forget to check out Hanalei-Pinetrees for rights and Middles if it's more onshore and you don't mind backside shovits.
Easy inside shoal sailing at Anini Beach.
The whole S shore get's good wavesailable, but there's too much resistance from surfers.
Lihue can be nice slalom sailing in the ocean.
I forgot the name of the beach, M something, on the way to S shore, looks like Sylt. Long tree lined drive in.
It's been 30 years since I sailed Kaui last.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't comment on the wind on Oahu, some of the best sailing on Kauai is at the Y Camp in Haena on the northshore, and at Maha'ulepu on the southshore. The former is the standard starboard tack out, whereas the latter in port tack out. Both spots work on trade winds, with Maha'ulepu having the strongest winds. Definitely take your wave board with 5.0 and 5.7 sails.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you nailed the on the way to the S shore spot. Looks like Sylt in the tropics to me.
Watch out for sharks Cool in the Y camp launch, that's Bethany's spot.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on the North shore of Kauai, I don't know much about Oahu sailing but compared to Maui the wind is typically half the strength. Where people will be on 4M size sails on Maui they will be on 6M on up on Kauai.
A typical strong trade wind day on Kauai it will be 16-20 knots while it's 20-30 knots at the same time on Maui.
If you come here to sail I would say it will be 50/50 at best if there will be any wind.
Haena is your best bet for the strongest and most consistently sailable wind.
Places like middles in Hanalei bay and Anini have even lighter wind. In 5+ years I have never seen anyone sail in Lihue and only one person on the entire East side.
IMO Kauai is more of a place to kite because of lighter winds and shallow reefs.
You won't find many people on the water here, very few boats and on a windy day maybe five sails and five kites at Haena.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We miss you up here in LA Phil!

I took a 30 day trip to Kauai and sailed 29 days on small gear. That was then and this is now. I'd say go with the forecast, but bring a 95+ liter board to be sure. I sailed Tunnels almost every day with a few side trips to the South side. It was August but had surf on both sides that year!

PS, water temperature in LA is in the low 70's and wind has been in the 25-30 mph range for the last 2 days! How is that for irony?
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like there are more sailors on Kauai than on Oahu. Most of the time I sail with 1 or 2 other sailors, apart from August when a couple of Italian tourists show up.

(more a comment on the drop in number of windsurfers than a comparison of the islands)
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capetonian wrote:
Sounds like there are more sailors on Kauai than on Oahu.

I could not imagine that to be true.
capetonian

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headed over to Kauai this week. Forecast for Friday and Saturday looks really good for both wind and waves on the North Shore. However I've been advised that Tunnels is a lot gnarlier than even Backyards on a solid NW swell. I've sailed Backyards in a 10 ft NW swell, and I thought that was pretty intense. So 10 ft NW swell at Tunnels is probably well outside my comfort zone - any suggestions for North Shore spots that are not as gnarly as Tunnels but will still get pretty decent in a big NW swell.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumptrucks/Tunnels is easier than backyards.
1. Inside is flat and easy, and you can make several chicken runs to check it out before heading outside.
2. It's the surfbreak that BethanyHamilton was riding when she was biten. Think of her family riding that wave, 10 year old's to once a week 45 year olds.
3. Tunnels has a much better channel for going out and coming in.
4. Tunnels is a predictable reef right.
Balanced by...
1. Tunnels inside reef is much shallower than 'yards
2. Surfers insist on surfing there even in 20+ sideshore winds.
3. If you can't stay upwind, the narrowest channel IN exists between Cannons and Tunnels. It's an urchin infested 2' deep by 3' wide.
4. If you can't stay upwind, Cannon's is equal to Pipeline in power and hollowness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: