myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What to do with modern car keys.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNDZRFR

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the key in the wheel well or left in an assessable spot inside the vehicle will do you Absolutely No Good at His Lord Ships (Berkeley).

Yesterday another long time windsurfer Doug Y. had his rig stolen with all his gear and valuables! He had left the electronic key in his SUV and the thieves just broke the window and searched his vehicle until they found it.

That makes 2 Stolen vehicles and 3 Break Ins this season at HLS (my van included). Three by wheel well key, one by slim jim or like key and one smash in. The thieves either watch from a distance for you to hide the key or just know where to look.

They have been getting more and more ballsy as the Berkeley Police have cut back their patrols of the jetty. Last year the Police would come around every 10 minutes to bust locals for smoking pot and as such no break ins. I've called and hopefully they will beef up the patrols during windy hours.

It's such a waste as the vehicles are usually recovered within a week but of course all the priceless gear is just thrown away.

Oh and check your homeowners policy as one sailor Blake found out the hard way. Absolutely nothing was covered in his Land Rover if you can believe that! He has either State Farm or Allstate.

The strong box was the best idea I read in this topic so far! I'm having a hidden kill switch installed so at least my van and gear will still be there when I come in.

WNDZRFR
SPQR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an small plastic case about the size of an IPhone called an E Case. I wrapped my key in a small sandwich sized baggie, put it in the E Case which I put inside my wetsuit. Eh voile, works great! It also helps that I have converted back to front zip wetsuits, even getting worked two days ago a couple of times on some nice waves while surfing didn't get my key wet! The new front zip suits really keep the water from surging down your neck, I have an Exel Infinity Comp and an O'Neil RG8 Psycho and it's amazing how little water they let in.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that really sucks.

Alien51 wrote:
Well the key in the wheel well or left in an assessable spot inside the vehicle will do you Absolutely No Good at His Lord Ships (Berkeley).

Yesterday another long time windsurfer Doug Y. had his rig stolen with all his gear and valuables! He had left the electronic key in his SUV and the thieves just broke the window and searched his vehicle until they found it.

That makes 2 Stolen vehicles and 3 Break Ins this season at HLS (my van included). Three by wheel well key, one by slim jim or like key and one smash in. The thieves either watch from a distance for you to hide the key or just know where to look.

They have been getting more and more ballsy as the Berkeley Police have cut back their patrols of the jetty. Last year the Police would come around every 10 minutes to bust locals for smoking pot and as such no break ins. I've called and hopefully they will beef up the patrols during windy hours.

It's such a waste as the vehicles are usually recovered within a week but of course all the priceless gear is just thrown away.

Oh and check your homeowners policy as one sailor Blake found out the hard way. Absolutely nothing was covered in his Land Rover if you can believe that! He has either State Farm or Allstate.

The strong box was the best idea I read in this topic so far! I'm having a hidden kill switch installed so at least my van and gear will still be there when I come in.

WNDZRFR

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Master lockbox for years - thanks to Homer for this awesome retirement present!! Now the only problem remaining: where do I stash the reading glasses, so upon my return, I can dial the combination....

lockbox.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  226.59 KB
 Viewed:  15778 Time(s)

lockbox.JPG

rlemmens

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So as for the valet key. I had an 04 mercedes that had the same key as your daughters ml320 I'm pretty sure. I took the valet key surfing all the time. No problem so I wouldn't be too worried. I don't imagine the suba key can be too much different. The lockboxes do look good as well.
As for insurance I can't suggest AAA highly enough. They're always helpful and recently gave me a higher than expected settlement for my RAM which was totaled because of a mechanical failure and Chrysler refused to honor their warranty on a $65k 2012 truck.
hahn2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my harnesses have a dumb key (<$7, no electronics) attached with small bungee rope that allows it to reach the keyhole when I am standing by the car. I also have a dumb key in a magnetic box hidden below the car just in case.

In my prior car (Honda CRV) I also had to carry a tube of graphite dust because the salt water on the key caused the door lock to get stiff. Hasn't been a problem yet with my current car (RAV4), but haven't had it that long.

After hearing about the break-ins at TI, I now hide my wallet and cell phone within the heap of gear in the back. After reading all these posts, I also need to hide my smart key in there too. It's not that someone couldn't find it, but it would take them time.
tony

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone with a 2015 Subaru Outback confirm that it is still possible to make a cheap hardware store copy of the key and use it to unlock the vehicle?

Thanks in advance.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony wrote:
Can anyone with a 2015 Subaru Outback confirm that it is still possible to make a cheap hardware store copy of the key and use it to unlock the vehicle?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not familiar with the 2015 Subaru key, but if it has door lock push buttons
You probably won't be able to make a dumb key at the major HW stores that
have the automatic key machines. My Dodge has one keyhole in one of the doors in case the remote doesn't work. I was able to get a dumb key made
at a locksmith that uses the manual key machines, to fit that door lock.
Unlocking it manually does trigger the alarm, but you may be able to disable that on the Subie.
I just modified a hidden lockbox to fit the remote key, that was easier and better than trying to disable the alarm., plus the door lock doesn't get wet with saltwater.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the 15s have changed it since my 12 (I don't know why they would), we can use the valet key to achieve that without setting off the alarm as long as you don't set the alarm yourself. Your manual will address that procedure, as can the Outback forum or your dealer for your 15. In addition, dealers and informed owners can change many software default settings on Subarus by using various dashboard switches for input.
tony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses.

I was able to borrow a 2013 Outback valet key and take it to the local HD who said that they could not copy it. I did verify that Iso's description of using it to unlock the car without setting off the alarm still applied on the 2013. Presumably the worst that would happen if water penetrated the valet key is that it would be degraded to the same kind of door-only dumb key that would be obtained by copying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: