myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racing SUP to windsurf conversion?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhorton1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks feasible!

Amundson offers a touring board with a mast insert built in -

http://www.amundsonsup.com/amundson-126-tr-2/

I bet modifying the Craigslist board would be worthwhile. 26" is a pretty narrow width... but it should be fast in light wind!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch the mast foot placement. too far forward makes these things tricky to tack, and slow as fugg to jibe. hard rails on the deck might get pinched by the mast when one falls off may be part of why designers put them so far forward?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Drive North to Clearwater Fl and look up Watersports West 888 401 5080 and you can demo the TR 12'6" they have one for demo and they usually bring a 7.5 sail to the demo days. They also carry the Bote boards so you can paddle those also. http://www.amundsonsup.com/amundson-126-tr-2/ I demo'ed it and it's pretty good board with the sail and paddle. Good luck, Michael
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be fun for non planing and flat water, as said, like a Serenity. Board should be used in non planing sub 13 mph winds, flat water, and it would be fast in displacement mode and have huge angles.
Fin size is important, unless it's just used to cruise around, and any fin longer than around 34cm's would require a power or tuttle box. +50 should be tuttle.
As for track placement, since it's mainly for non planing conditions and flat water, find where you stand for SUP, make a mark a foot behind your feet, then add 20" forwards for the center of the mast track. Just thought of this on the fly right now, so it's not science, but practical experience.
antonius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get on a plane without any problem on my JP Sportster 14'. In light wind the nose penetrates and really moves but I get planing earlier than formula sailors when the wind picks up. Once the Formula guys are fully powered they will pass me but before that I go right by them.
Towards the tail the Sportster and most race oriented SUPs do have a gradually increasing rocker. It helps the sharp nose rise up for better control when on a plane but it does limit top speed. Still a whole lot of fun though.
Not sure about he amount of rocker in the Bote board you are looking at so can't say if it will do the same. The JPs bottom is very flat with relatively boxy rails but some SUP race boards have more
rounding or V with rounder rails.

www.velawindsurf.com

Last edited by antonius on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously this will be for sub planing in very light wind, I've been doing this a lot recently on my 11'8" Exocet. In my experience a bigger fin does not help. The only way I am able to generate enough resistance from the sail to stay hooked in is to sail upwind at the highest angle possible while sinking the windward rail so the board acts like one big fin. The racing SUPs should do this really well and maybe you can sink the preferred leeward rail.
I would look for a SB K-15, it has a center fin which could help a lot.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking around at the flatwater SUP offerings from different companies and finding a lot of variation. They're always kind of pointy at the front, but some have a serious piercing bow, some have a round hull, some have a square tail, some have a teardrop tail, some have a piercing bow blending with a scoop bow, some are 75+ cm wide, some are only 60 cm wide and have a deeply recessed standing area in the deck, etc.

I do like the looks of the round-hulled, pointy-at-both-ends, forward fin placement Starboard K-15 for windsurfing- Kind of like the Starboard Serenity but with the width and deck shape to allow SUPing. Then again something more like the JP or Amundsen touring boards might be more sporting as a windsurf, with the potential to plane and stuff.

I think for now I'll just work on my SUP skills and fitness with the board I have, then I'll pounce on a flatwater SUP for conversion later.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots have canoe bottom shapes with flat to concave decks. antithesis of windsurfing hulls.

better to have a carbon 11'5" IMHO.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all get somewhat flat on the bottom under where a person would stand while SUPing. It's how quickly the transition is made from the displacement nose to the flatter spot.
How about adding a displacement nose to that board you added the step tail to? Sort of a poor man's http://www.exocet-original.com/rs-d2-elite.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: