myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Recommend a big sail for my big board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windrockwater

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 7.3 I am using (most of the time) is a new E_type North Sail. I have used it already in a BIG range of wind successfully. From light wind to high wind. Its very nice.

I have a 490 cm, North mast Xcellerator Viper 75 (28 cc) that is going unused. My boom goes up to 228 length. So if I can find the biggest sail that will fit on this boom/mast combo, then I should be golden.

Option: the 8.5 or 9.0 Retro or similar. My concern is that 7.3 to 8.5 may not be a big enough size jump to be very noticeable. So that leaves 9.0 or 9.5. So I am thinking that the 9.0 may jive the best with both the WindSUP and the Techno 160.

Sound right?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either 9.0 or 9.5 will fit on your mast, but it might be hard to find a 9.5 that fits on your boom without over-extending it and making it wobbly. My 9.5 Ezzy Cheetah is great, but it definitely needs a big, stiff boom to feel right.

So I'd get a 9.0. I think both the Sailworks Retro and the Aerotech Freespeed have a "recessed clew" which helps them fit on a not-as-long boom.

Good luck.

RickDob

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might reconsider your point of view on cams because they really do add performance on light air days. I am close to your size and sail a 9.5 Ezzy Infinity on a 155 Isonic on light air days and love it; the 9.5 Ezzy is spec'd for a 490 mast. Be sure to upgrade your fin to match the larger sail...wide boards with big sails need deeper fins to maintain equilibrium.
dwr888

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Recommend a big sail for my big board Reply with quote

I'm usually a stalker .. but had to respond to this one.....
I have sailed less and less over the last 10 years .. but still keep improving little by little. I typically have sailed a Neil Pryde V8 ... in both 7.0, 7.5 and 7.2 .. the 7.2 is awesome but the last 7.5 I had new version became such a pain to rig w/ cams etc ..

little bit the same with the 9.0's that I have had .. the last one I used until it just disintegrated... LOVED LOVED IT!!!!! I was at Windfest a couple years ago and saw the Point 7 brand ... Chased 'em down and bought a 7.5 and 9.0 NO CAMS ...

WOW!!!!! (and I don't get paid for this) They are the lightest and easiest to rig .. in just aobut 3 - 7 mins depending on my distractions.... looking at wind answering kids questions etc... They sail Very very well ... and FAST!!!! Good low end and still stay very stable when over powered etc ...

BUT REALLY REALLy they are cool looking .. BLACK / SHINY .. you look fast even before you get in the water.... Difficult getting them and a bit expensive .. had them shipped from Italy .. think htat they are getting better. but incredibly worth it. Still love my NP quiver .. have all 7.2 and smaller (like 10 of em) but the Pointe 7 are fantastic.... Just my $.02 worth....
windrockwater

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were those sails at the ECWF last week? I saw two black sails that looked pretty serious. They were like the stealth bombers in the group. And the guys were planing all over the place!
dwr888

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They mighta been. ... Pointe 7 is getting some great press and play these days ... I saw them at Windfest in Hatteras 1.5 years ago .. (OH that's right I said that already... ) They ARE as fast as they look ... even from a total HACK like me.... Sure are easy to sail too. They seem to have the "Right" formula .. BLACK SAILS have a HUGE team that travels all over the world ... Cheers ...

only problem is that almost No One in the US or North America carries them.

DALE
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the rule for getting a big sail is, don't do it unless you plan to do it right. That means not using a 490 with lots of extension, and not using a boom that's more than about half way out. You're a heavy guy, your venue is truly suited to light-air blasting (how many 12-15 days do you get?), and your pocketbook can take the hit, then make the move. But if you're looking to primarily sail your SUP on light days, don't bother with the big sail. A 7.0 will push that at hull speed, and anything else is just additional weight.
I couple years back I bought a 9.5, a 520, and a carbon race boom, on the thinking that I wanted to be able to sail whenever my schedule allowed. Well, I haven't used it all that much, because it seems like the wind is always either building (in which case I ditch the 9.5) or fading (in which case the 9.5 is a big, heavy mess). When it's good, it's good, but I'm not sure it was worth the investment.
So think a lot about your venue and schedule, and figure out how much use a big sail will actually get.
dwr888

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the scargo ... abbout 12 years ago I reluctantly buying a 9.0 NP V8 ... thought that I would NEVER use it ... could have not been more wrong ... I always reluctantly rig and complain that it's too heavy and too much of a pain to sail. I've been through two V8 9.0's and it seems like a rarity that I get to sail down to a 5.4 or 4.9 .. or even less ... Go Figure! Realistically I can't wait for the "Right" Day .. Can't go at the drop of a hat ... ended up being a good / great plan for me BUT I'd really really rather sail a 6.0 or 4.9 or 3.7 Weeeee hoo!
Hurl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 8.5/ 9.0 would be the call. Demo some first. Anything over 7.5 I would recommend cams for light air sailing.ask any pro. Also if want to use your north mast. Stick with north sails.you will lose all performance quality otherwise. Don't mix sail brands and masts. Especially on neilpryde / maui sails. My 2 cents .
Hurl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An 8.5/ 9.0 would be the call. Demo some first. Anything over 7.5 I would recommend cams for light air sailing.ask any pro. Also if want to use your north mast. Stick with north sails.you will lose all performance quality otherwise. Don't mix sail brands and masts. Especially on neilpryde / maui sails. My 2 cents .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: