myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Large light-air wave board and sail quiver questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I am no expert on the wave sailing conditions of SBarbara, I can generally tell you all that is can be world class perfect to onshore wind slop.
Places like Jalama have strong 5.0 winds even for the 200 lb'sers, and tons of swell. Jalama means "changing winds", so get used to it.
All the perfect surfing points are sailable when the W winds get in. Most are lighter slog outs, but real solid wave riding in.
Just along UCSB campus area, there are 3 different wave riding windsurfing spots.
Yes, there is a requirement for 100 liters and 6.0. But the next day, a 4.7 and 75 liter board is called for.....
There is nothing like riding waves in almost glassy conditions, point right DTL, and just enough power to slog out and jibe onto a wave face.
Hope you guys don't forget Palo Marin.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't how else to describe the perils of those on the www about the term light wind and the advice coming from those that don't truly experience what crappy light wind is like. if i sound like i'm crapping all over someone, it's because they've got so much wind and wave to waste, and i'm jealous. i'll admit it. i wish i had half the good conditions available in the pacific ocean. probably not enough though, because then i'd move right?

projecting light wind advice to those all around the world via these forums takes a lot of words. too many for me to want to type anymore. so i bruise egos a few in my warnings???? cause i don't want to sugar coat it?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
i don't how else to describe the perils of those on the www about the term light wind and the advice coming from those that don't truly experience what crappy light wind is like. if i sound like i'm crapping all over someone, it's because they've got so much wind and wave to waste, and i'm jealous. i'll admit it. i wish i had half the good conditions available in the pacific ocean. probably not enough though, because then i'd move right?

projecting light wind advice to those all around the world via these forums takes a lot of words. too many for me to want to type anymore. so i bruise egos a few in my warnings???? cause i don't want to sugar coat it?

It's not that you are bruising egos, it's that you are lumping various west coast venues into your theory of how wave sailing gets done. That's just annoying. So of course those of us who have learned to maximize fun from our local conditions are correcting your attempts to cut the feet off the body to fit it in the bed.

At least you admit your jealousy. But come for a visit, have a blast windsurfing, and hopefully we'll show you how your projections don't apply all around the world. I'm dying to make a play here with the concept of psychological projection, but I'll bite my tongue (halfway though since I just mentioned it).
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
it's that you are lumping various west coast venues into your theory of how wave sailing gets done ...

... and presuming that only he encounters crappy winds, lack of current, etc.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
xander.arch wrote:
it's that you are lumping various west coast venues into your theory of how wave sailing gets done ...

No, just being local and in the same local as the OP.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
isobars wrote:
xander.arch wrote:

No, just being local and in the same local as the OP.

I'm referring to his constant insistence, despite many corrections, that people who sail the Gorge never have to sail anywhere but in strong winds with countercurrent.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I def misread that. My bad. Sorry Iso.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents....Given you're a west coast sailor, and like waves, I'd suggest the ultimate light wind wave board is the X-Wave 111. Way better than Quatro or Goya in the planing dept. A very good but HUGE board that pushes water around is the Goya Custom Quad 118. I only use it in light wind and LARGE SURF, because it is such a dog until it gets onto a wave face. Then is comes alive.

PS, I own an Angulo Sumo and it's also a dog that only works as a light wind bump and jump. Exocet is way better.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you are familiar with the late Ted James of Fox WaterSports in Buxton,NC OBX.

He produced a well respected 8'6" Wave Board. Ted and I had a good relationship and after 3-4 yrs of asking, plus another larger customer.

Ted shaped, a big guys wave board for the two of us.

Mine is a 9"2" 263/8" wide volume is in the area of 135ltr.
It's not all that fast but I most often use my Ezzy 6,3 WaveSE on it.

Smooth sweet board to sail. I've had it for almost 10yrs now. Just about bullet proof.
capetonian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
A very good but HUGE board that pushes water around is the Goya Custom Quad 118. I only use it in light wind and LARGE SURF, because it is such a dog until it gets onto a wave face. Then is comes alive.

Steve, try running it as a twin fin with blanking plates in the mini tuttle boxes. Seems to plane noticeably earlier that way for me. Use just the rear fins it came with, they are plenty big enough for slogging upwind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: