myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SFB Speed King Event
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramontana00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upwind47 wrote:
Last one i had....

Maybe you'll get even better in next few days. Wind forecast looks good for late afternoon session.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love to participate. In I am the fastest guy at Candlestick. Happy to share my secrets. Bring a note pad.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: SFB Speed King Event Reply with quote

tramontana00 wrote:
September 12th to October 25th:

Great dates: will be lucky to find a day with 15 knots of wind ... why not do it in December and have a chance to see no wind at all!
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Extend the area to cover the West Coast, then we'll see some real speeds!
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paypal wrote:
Extend the area to cover the West Coast, then we'll see some real speeds!

At the Stick my personal best is a max speed (2 secs) of 38.6 knots, 10 seconds 35 and change, on a HSM GPS 6.0 + CA 52. Never been able to best that, the limiting factor is the chop that does develop quite a lot and slows you down.

Suggestions for really flat spots in the Bay Area? None comes to mind ... maybe Larkspur on the south-west side?
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

The best speed venue in the greater Bay Area is at Hart's Beach and Doran Beach at Bodega. In the spring there are frequent 20-25+ plus NW wind at Bodega.

Hart's Beach is named after Dr. Tom Hart who pioneered this launch site and who, at the age of 86, died several days after sailing here on a 3.2 during a howling winter storm.

At very low tides you are sailing in a deep water boat channel just feet from totally flat exposed sand bar. The course is perfect for speed and you can point back up wind to your starting point. The water next to the sand bar ranges from mirror like to 1" chop which is parallel to your course.

On higher tides, if there is no surf, you can speed sail just off Doran Beach in offshore winds.

Several speed events were held at Bodega by the now defunct West Coast Board Sailor.

The water is cold but there are real bathrooms and showers. The area is sometimes called Blowdega by locals. Weed be an issue when summer arrives. Great camping, hotels and restaurants. You can also launch at the Yacht Club and sail in shallow water and small chop. Very scenic.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

Harts Beach.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  264.88 KB
 Viewed:  13164 Time(s)

Harts Beach.jpg

windsrf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised more mention isn't made of the area behind the Brooks Island Jetty/Breakwater. With correct wind direction (maybe SW to SSW) and higher tides (so height of breakwater potentially shadowing wind is negated) you have maybe 1 inch ripples over a distance of 1/4 to 1/2 mile (at least). Wind usually is strongest nearer to Brooks and fades out as you approach the NW end of the jetty/breakwater (built to protect Kaiser shipbuilding drydocks during WWII I surmise). You can sail within 20 feet of the breakwater's edge over that distance.

Admittedly, you are not very close to Pt. Isabel launch (Marina Bay is closest), but there's plenty of sailboat traffic with rescue potential if that became an issue.

Plus, you can easily portage over the breakwater (maybe 15 foot walk with gear) and immediately experience heavy conditions of the Olympic Circle area.

Kiters launching from Marina Bay are using it more lately.

David
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Mike I'm very interested in this Hart's beach...May drive up there when conditions look strong. Any input Boris?

-Kevin
SpeedRoo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
Hmmm, Mike I'm very interested in this Hart's beach...May drive up there when conditions look strong. Any input Boris?

-Kevin

Beware the man in the grey suit!
KevinDo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paypal wrote:
KevinDo wrote:

-Kevin

Beware the man in the grey suit!

Yea..Olivier was telling me about that...hmmm ...speed...sharks...hmmm tough one lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: