myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Retirement from Windsurfing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Egoscue's book, "Pain Free". Thousands of people with mechanical problems have been cured with zero risk or expense after ordinary medicine failed. Do NOT write this off as "age" or "unavoidable", as it is very seldom is.

Mike \m/
71 and still shreddin'
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso, you're 71!!!! Even though we've disagreed in the past on some topics(and probably will in the future), you have my respect for still riding hardcore & being passionate about windsurfing.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope your life works out well, and it's great to have you in the windsurf lifestyle.
I"m 65, had bad sciatica in my 40's, but it went away hopefully never coming back after a couple of years.
Still play tennis (doubles) 3 days a week, and try to windsurf 4. Tough to do both the same day.
Who knows, maybe after a few years, your body heals and hopefully you'll come back to the sport.
I fly over to PuertoRico every winter for a month, but usually sail in Fajardo.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigwave65 wrote:
we've disagreed in the past on some topics(and probably will in the future) ....

GOOD! If we always agreed, one of us would be redundant. We'd also have nothing to debate, so lurkers would have fewer ideas to choose from.

Mike \m/
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly! Damn! We agreed on something! Laughing
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the issues that you do. I'm 64 years old and have been windsurfing since 1980. As a x surfer, wave sailing was my passion. Maui, San Carlos, Rio and the Gorge were all spots that I enjoyed. The ruff water and the pounding that jumping did to my back no longer allows me to wave sail or hit "the cool" high wind spots. That said, I get great joy sailing flat water spots like Lopez lake or SPI. I get lots of blasting on a 5.5 and even smaller sails. I get out of the water if lots of people come out because of the board chop. At these spots I can still sail for several hours a day with out all the back pain. Some days in the spring and fall, I'm the only one out and the water is super smooth. I use ice everyday after any kind of activity. Pain pills as needed. Most of all, you must keep in shape of windsurfing. Work out daily and do tons of core and stretching.
Hey its worth a try before you give it up. I even went out the other day on a wind sup. just about no wind. Don't tell anyone I said this, but it was kind of fun. You have options. Try them before you give up....
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice or NSAIDs pretty much stops healing dead in its tracks for weeks*. They should be reserved for acute injuries, not prophylactically. Better measures would include PROPER core exercises (e.g., no crunches), stretching only for rehab or for problem joints that demonstrate reduced mobility, and trying the many protocols that claim to subdue whatever ails us without drugs, surgery, etc. For musculoskeletal issues, Egoscue's Pain Free approach, Mattes' Active Isolated Stretching, and Eric Goodman's Foundation Training are among many techniques worth trying to see what works for each individual.

If you watch this 12-minute video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI ,
pay particular attention to his last three words regarding the lower back: "No pain ever". My right SI joint ached every waking moment for years until I began an abbreviated Goodman exercise a couple of weeks ago (the Founder, at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-K7jtcJ0Dc ). So far ... gone.

No risk, free, and usually better than disability, surgery, or drugs.

* An excerpt from the source of that statement:
"While ice and NSAIDs may make you feel better after an injury, by using those agents, you are preventing the body from repairing itself. At best, this greatly prolongs healing. At worst, you may not regain the full potential of that injured muscle. Resting an injured muscle (temporarily) is still sound advice, but now we know that it is best to skip the ice."

The article is at
http://drwheatgrass.com/info/newsletters/sometimes-inflammation-is-a-good-thing . It progresses into a sales pitch, but the part presented here is sourced to the NIH, has been reported in dozens of news sources, and is backed up by this study at
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3005436/ .
dcharlton

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Retirement from Windsurfing Reply with quote

Glenherman,

I'm sad to see you go, but have what I believe is a solution not only for you but to help address your 'nearly extinct sport' comment.

TEACH SOMEBODY THIS SPORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) You will change their life forever
2) You will change your life forever
3) Watching someone get in the footstraps or nail their first jybe lets you relive the sport ALL over again!
4) You won't be windsurfing, but you'll be close to it, with a satisfaction that can only come from knowing you brought another person the same joy you've experienced all these years.

I wish you all the best, but please consider mentoring someone else, it will bring you more satisfaction than you know!

DC
jeffk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Don't give up now Reply with quote

Eastern medicine along with tai chi and meditation helped me get past my sciatica. Try reading the mind body connection by dr John Sarno. It's amazing what the body can do when it's allowed to take care of itself! Say no to the NSAIDs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: