myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Price check on windsurfing equipment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
w00tfriday831

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Price check on windsurfing equipment Reply with quote

I recently inherited these items and several others. I'm looking to sell them if possible, but after several days of searching online I've figured there aren't many resources. If you could help me out pricing some of these items I would greatly appreciate it. Everything posted is in excellent condition, lightly used.

Imgur album

Thanks in advance!
VinceSF

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

The boards aren't worth much. I am not familiar with the starboard, but if I recall well, it was a very avant garde board in its days. As with most old gears, it is simply worth whatever buyer will want to pay for. Try eBay for them.

The masts would need to be looked at by any buyer before buying. How big was the owner? I'm 140# and I never break masts. someone who is 220 might break them on a regular basis. to summarize they might be worth 100-200 each depending on the carbon content and age.

The HPL boom is the most valuable piece there. you could try for 300-400.

As for the sails I will leave it to the members of this forum. I wouldn't pay more than 100-125 for each myself.

Good luck.
wsmtbskate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look at the sailworks.com website.

you can look at the archives and compare sail shapes/configurations to determine what year the sail was made. They also have color coding on their sail bags. At least it's a starting point.

http://www.sailworks.com/previous-year-specifications
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with VSF, those HPL booms are the most valuable thing there, they appear to be all carbon, $200 easy if not more. Sails average about $100.
The boards and masts are give-aways IMO, the other 2 booms, maybe $50 ea.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This^^^^^^^^ ....if your aim is to sell them.

However, lots and lots of people say "yeah, I wanna sell my stuff", but what they really mean is, "I wanna make money off my stuff."

If you're not gonna use it, and it's just taking up space, then price it low and move it. Let someone else make use of it.

geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. It's not a big money-making opportunity really, but go ahead and follow the advice given here already to price 'em to move. And then list the main valuable items here on the iWindsurf Buy/Sell section.

If you have no bites at all after a month, try lowering the prices again. Keep in mind that some older stuff never finds a buyer no matter what you price it at.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iWindsurf.com, Windsurfing Classifieds, Craigslist for a particular area, and eBay are the places I look for windsurfing gear. Looking at those sources will help you decide on prices. Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby will help you do the pricing in exchange for some of the other items such as a fin, harness, or mast extension. That help can be provided long distance if you include pictures of all of the items.

The boards you have are useable only by experienced windsurfers in strong or high winds (I'm guessing at least 15 mph +, and maybe the number is 20 mph +). The sails, masts, booms, etc., can be used by everyone from beginners on up.

Prices are somewhat lower on the coasts (more supply) than in the the Midwest.

Price the items individually. Be willing to negotiate lower prices for a package such as a boom, mast & sail that go together. Don't try to sell everything as one big package, that would dramatically reduce what you would get.

The pictures you posted are good. You should also include pictures of all of the other stuff and informational details such as length of mast extensions, length of fins, etc.

To figure out what to charge you have to know as much detail as possible from the information on your gear and if necessary measure each item. That effort will not be wasted. To actually get buyers you need to include in your listing of the gear as much detail as possible including the information shown on the sails (sq. meter size, luff length, boom length, recommended mast length, model name, manufacturers name), the adjustment range of each boom, the length, material & stiffness of each mast, the length, width, weight, model name & year of each board.

Your marketing job is to make it as easy as possible for someone to decide to buy from you. Providing knowledgeable buyers with the information they need is very important.

It is common to include in the price of a board at least one fin that fits and one universal joint/mast base/foot that fits so the board can be attached to a rig (mast extension, mast, sail & boom) and be used.
windsurfmama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Check your private message Reply with quote

I actually am interested in one of the sails. I sent you a private message. If you haven't checked, just email me at: windsurfmama@juno.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: