myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kalmus this weekend

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Kalmus this weekend Reply with quote

If you've been looking at the forecast for Saturday, and thinking about sailing at Kalmus, you may want to think again. The annual 3-day MS Challenge Walk will take place this weekend, and use the Kalmus parking lot for parking. There will also be an large ABK camp taking place, so the number of open parking spots will probably be rather small.

The closest alternative is Sea Street Beach, about 1/2 mile to the west. Please be courteous to beach goers and swimmers - the life guards may be off duty now, but it's still summer, so there will be people in the water.
jpeter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Kalmus this weekend Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
the life guards may be off duty now, but it's still summer, so there will be people in the water.

GOOD POINT !!

I have watched the same idiot sail thru the swim area at Kalmus all summer long. Lifeguards were not present last saturday or sunday, and he was sailing full speed within 30 ft of swimmers. I would "out" this jackass with a photo but everyone knows who he is.
2 weeks ago at a Dennis bay side beach a kiter sailed into the swim area full of people at 5:05, just after the guards left. This is a beach that does not officially allow windsports, but I have spoken to guards and been allowed to launch there as long as I stay to the west of the swim area. Ironic that 15 minutes earlier he had complained to me that he had to drive down from the North because kiters lost all access up there.

Don't take the beach access for granted !
windswell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

??? If "everyone knows who he is", why are you allowing him to sail at YOUR home beach? It's important that windsurfers do some self-policing - and be public about it, particularly since kiters are being prohibited for similar actions.

After having a "group talk" with him, you can also just call the police if you're not comfortable being firmer with him. "Reckless endangerment is a crime consisting of acts that create a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. The accused person isn't required to intend the resulting or potential harm, but must have acted in a way that showed a disregard for the foreseeable consequences of the actions."

I'm an elected town beach committee member. If we don't have the financial resources to make the beach safe from certain activities, I'm only ONE vote for not prohibiting that activity. And you definitely want to keep kiting and windsurfing separated as activities, in my opinion.
paulf.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you come over to west dennis as an alternative, keep in mind that the man with the blue light on his boat and very loud bull horn made it clear to me that the swim/no windsurfing bouys are in full effect untill they are taken out of the water, even though there are no lifeguards to holler at us about it.
bthiel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been documenting recklessness on two topics, one of the incident and one of a proactive nature on prevention, and I found Self-Policing is not an effective action unless you know of a way to change more than one person taking matters into their own hands. The results of a group becoming more than only talk, I have yet to come across in recent times, anywhere.

The idea you've presented is good but in my experience the police have more important agendas than being proactive.

"Reckless endangerment is a crime consisting of acts that create a substantial risk of serious physical injury to another person. The accused person isn't required to intend the resulting or potential harm, but must have acted in a way that showed a disregard for the foreseeable consequences of the actions."

I made the call to the police, they came and wrote an incident report that Person #1 lost control of a sail and the sail scraped person #2's parked car.

There was no other calling for a report into the cop's log or issuing a citation for reckless endangerment. No harm, no foul was the only outcome in this mind.

Self Policing for me turned out to be the same as spitting into the wind.

Tiger 5.8-6.3 Ezzy Wave 4.2-5.0( 6.3 FOR SALE)
See you on the water- Boyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: