myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Seaside kite - windsurfer fight ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danothemano

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: No Brainer Reply with quote

Segregation is the best policy. Kiters need to be separated from normal water activities or banned altogether if there is limited access. It works great at the Comfort Inn on Lakes Bay. I had a really great session there the same day as the fight. All the kooks at PT Point never came close. It also works at Kalmus and West Dennis during the beach season, but now with no lifeguards it will return to "accident waiting to happen" status... I'm not worried about losing windsurfing access... the authorities seem to have figured out what sport causes the most problems.

Rolling Eyes
RickCronk

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A terrible shame that this had to happen at all. I don't believe it bodes well for anyone who visits that venue or neighboring ones as well.

Banning a sport is far easier for the authorities than having to deal with these kind of issues. It falls on the enthusiasts to make it easy for the people in power to allow access, rather than more difficult.

Though enforcement is kind of hit or miss, NYS banned kitesurfing at state park beaches, and boat access points in 2012. Of course there weren't many state beaches that allowed it or windsurfing to begin with. Probably explains why so many NY sailors travel to the CT shore of LI Sound, or the NJ shore and beyond for wind and rides.

scargo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of an incident from last year in the DR. I was walking along the beach when an errant kite slammed down close to me, very hard. I turned around, and the kiter was on the beach doing the walk of shame with kite (formerly) in tow.

I'm not sure what came over me, but I responded with obscenties, and by yanking hard on his lines, which is apparently the go button for kiters. He came sprinting towards me, eyes bulging and angry. He certainly had agression on his side, but I liked my chances in the categories of upper-body strength (315 bench), hardness (6% body fat), and core stability (I'm a windsurfer, not a kiter). So as he arrived, still running at full speed, I assumed the position of a middle linebacker, getting low and bracing my right foot in the sand behind me. He hit me hard, but lowered shoulder prevailed over concave chest. His momentum neutralized, I finished him with a good shove from the aforementioned muscle groups.

I stood over him, and briefly considered tucking his head under his spreader bar so he could spend some quality time contemplating his namesake until help arrived--but then thought better of providing him what he might consider a silver lining.

Anyway, I spent the rest of the evening beating myself up for putting myself--and, by extension, my family--at risk over one tool's reckless behavior. And I spent the next several days on the lookout for whatever posse the kiter might assemble. But one thing for sure, there's no one quite as easily angered as the guy who thinks someone else is trying to ruin his fun.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, that I’m a little disappointed that any windsurfer would go all agro when a kiter screws up. I’ve seen enough kite-mares to know how dangerous that thing can be. If one of the kiters somehow let his kite get away bad enough to slam down on my car where I sail, even though I’d be really ticked, my first instinct would be to grab the kite and make sure it didn’t keep going and hold it there till the rider got there. Then, calmly discuss restitution.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have beat the ____ out of you as well if you had grabbed my kite lines!!!
A kite landing on parked cars is kooky yes but not life threatening like you yanking the lines of someone's kite that they are attached to.
You very well could have killed that kook!
I think we should rename this thread.....
WHEN KOOKS COLIDE

Bigwave65

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride with kiters all the time, most our very good friends that I trust with my life. They are here to stay, it is not "us against them" we are all in this together. And if you did pull his lines on purpose you got what you deserved, that's just as dangerous as him launching in a crowded lot.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaterKook wrote:
I would have beat the ____ out of you as well if you had grabbed my kite lines!!!
A kite landing on parked cars is kooky yes but not life threatening like you yanking the lines of someone's kite that they are attached to.
You very well could have killed that kook!
I think we should rename this thread.....
WHEN KOOKS COLIDE

ABSOLUTELY! Sounds like a Joke situation to me with a lot of really bad responses. I have yet to see anything like this on the Cape, I imagine I will with all the hostility out there.

I can take a joke and a punch.. Prefer the former. I like Kiting with windsurfers, keeps me away from the kook kiters! BTW if im kiting near you and you are windsurfing and want me to move away from you please let me know. I have a habit of sitting on the nose of peoples boards for a tandem ride (Paging Dr. Kimball). Just wave me off if you feel im too close, I have no problem with that and will clear out.
bthiel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to jump back in here as the topic name is misleading, for one, and has added a flavor of conflict that is not there. I think it's Seaside- kite windsurfer fight? There was no windsurfing equipment involved. So it wasn't a fight between two entities, counties, communities or any of the such. There was a kite that my friend launched in the parking lot. Bonehead move unless you have another term for endangering kiters, windsurfer, tourist, couples, families with young children or even dogs being walked.

I use the word bonehead because I am a friend of the Lot Launcher. I was busy rigging down and wasn't paying attention to the crowd. I have my spot and it's as far away as I can get from the other cars and chatter. i like my solitude. I windsurf way south away from everyone except for the others that must feel the same way about crowds.

I didn't see Lot Launcher getting ready, doing the pump and whatever kiters do. If I had I would have walked over and asked him not to attempt launching upwind of people. The South Point was being the launch spot. There had to be at least 10 kiters out at the point, getting ready, helping one another, launching and sailing back and forth. The point seems to be their turf and a narrow band bayward on a south wind is their fun zone. The Island State Park is not going to take down the "Not Beyond This Point" but the park ranger's didn't care if the point was being used that day.

So why was he launching from the crowded parking lot? I did ask him afterward once we settled down, his answer is for another topic. In the real world there was NO REASON. I can't figure peoples motives out but I am a good judge of personalities and mental states of mind. The best and shortest I can come up with is he is a stubborn SOB, otherwise a real Bonehead. I'm not saying he is stupid at all, I'd rate his IQ above average. Hope I am writing and communicating what I have to say about the topic.

It's not anything to do with kiting and windsurfing. If he was an outback snowboarder and he caused an avalanche and hurt skiers, its not a fight between snowboarders and skiers. It more of an issue of someone taking chances with putting those traversing below in deadly risk.

To say we were fighting is so wrong, as that's the way communication is done at times between friends. Who better to set him straight than me, as we know one another on more than a surface chatter level. There was no real fight as fights can be. No punches were thrown. I was pushing the limits of nasty, he had no good comebacks, except to say he was sorry, but sometimes sorry isn't enough, when someone at the state park could have been killed! DEAD, with as windy as it was getting, I was going down to a 5.2 Tiger, so it was beginning to gust.

My car was not damaged, I needed to get in that fact. Now in spite of a sorry which was given but not accepted as he was terribly dangerous to whomever the kite and wind decided to smash. The whomever was my 2012 Fanatic Freewave on top of my new car, which is a tuff dog windsurfer, not for sale, with that WSC layup and can take a hit of nasty shore break.

My fin got lucky I took it off for the ride down. I think the fin would have fought back like a saber toothed cat to rip that black and yellow kite a new one. Maybe you all can get into an intelligent topic about weed fins and yellow and black kites fighting it out.

Sure would be better than reading most of the gobblegoop written about kiters fighting windsurfers. That is pure BS.

We were not fighting, punching, nor playing games. The incident report says it all, X lost control of his kite and hit Y's car. I could have added on to that report but choose not to have a friend cuffed or whatever the cops do. They knew what happened and let us come to terms by ourselves without causing any more bad feelings. SO much has been said about how men behave. Men fight without fists and resolve issues, and walk away as best their pride will allow.

No one was hurt, the kite was fine, and we both sailed all day, apart. Got that third men in shit down? I'll take Bonehead to cover my back anyday over some of you. Say whatever you all want, the cops were not worried and that is an indication that Lot Launcher and Balls Bigger than Brains had already moved on to a better place.

I for one know he'll be more aware of not putting others in danger path for any reason, soon. I'll be old and dead by then at this pace of never knowing when to back down.

I am lucky or blessed to still be alive at 64, and plan to keep going strong.

You know boys, sometime you gotta take the bull by the horns and ride it.

Tiger 5.8-6.3 Ezzy Wave 4.2-5.0( 6.3 FOR SALE)
See you on the water- Boyd
WaterKook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://vimeo.com/26620046 Wink
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sure sound like a good friend the way you glowingly describe him. You go on and keep grabbing the bull(or lines) by the horns. it seemed to work well for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: