myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
Costco boards
Three pack of Kirkland Thrusters?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windoggie wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
Costco boards
Three pack of Kirkland Thrusters?

I saw a lot of Kirkland boards today. It was hilarious. Every time a lifeguard saw one, they'd rush down the beach to query the guy. How do you surf a 12 foot wave with a Costco board?
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webcam grab pic from yesterday's windsurfing session at Pleasure Point in Santa Cruz, California:

[img][/img]

08-28-2014 Windsurfing Session Pic 06.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  742.39 KB
 Viewed:  8488 Time(s)

08-28-2014 Windsurfing Session Pic 06.png

windward1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another webcam grab pic from yesterday in Santa Cruz:

[img][/img]

08-28-2014 Windsurfing Session Pic 07.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  966.92 KB
 Viewed:  8487 Time(s)

08-28-2014 Windsurfing Session Pic 07.png

NickB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool stuff windward, you've been really enjoying that coastline to the fullest!
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try, NickB. I try....

Very Happy
windward1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Something a little different. Reply with quote

Well decided to do something a little different. The coast did not look too promising and the tides were right for a Moss Landing challenge.
So off to Moss Landing I went. While driving into Moss Landing Beach, I noticed a whale spout between two sand dunes as I was going out to park. Seemed pretty close to shore. So after parking I walked up to the top of the dunes and saw that there were a lot of whale pods about. Many close to shore. One whale watching boat was ‘parked’ just beyond the first green channel marker and the folk were watching the whales from there. Saves boat fuel when you do not have to travel for miles. Besides two whale watching boats there are SUPs and kayaks.
So I rig up the Angulo WindSUP and the Ezzy Cheetah 7.0. I launch at the beach side of the park and since the wind is coming straight out of the west and directly on shore, I need to wade out a bit to get a start. I do so and sail out in the 4 to 6 knots of wind and go watch the whales and the whale watchers.
I did not see any full-body breaches, but the Humpbacks backs were coming out of the water, showing their namesake, and I did see a tail or two.
I then sailed into the harbor between the jettis. Sea Lions were playing in the channel. I sailed north once in the harbor and up past the yacht club and then back into the main harbor. A Banshee sailboat was out as well as a ton of kayaks. Seals, Sea Lions, and Sea Otters were abundant. The wind had picked up a few knots.
Tide was still coming in and was to top out at about five feet somewhere around 2 p.m. Time to make my move. I sailed up to the Highway 1 bridge and lowered my sail. The clearance seemed like inches overhead, but probably was close to ten feet. By lowering the sail with it still catching wind and the clew dragging in the water I was able to balance the two turning moments and sail straight in, nose-first into the Elkhorn Slough. Made it look easy.
Sailed into the slew broad reaching from side to side. Came to the entrance of the serpentine tidal creek on the north side of the slough and thought I would try my luck at windsurfing it. It is no wider than my board is long at medium tide, but at high tide I had a little more room to work, but had to be careful of the shallows. With the wind from the west it was going to be mostly downwind in serpentine fashion. There was some upwind work at one spot where I had to go half a board length and tack, half a board length and tack and so on. But once past that, it was how to control going downwind. Sometimes had to hold the mast and let the sail’s clew hang over the nose of the board in order to go slow enough as to look ahead for the main channel as it wound through the marsh. Must have looked funny to other kayakers out on the slough seeing this sail meander through the marsh.
Made it to the dock that used to lead to a path into the hills. It was closed and trespassing now is forbidden. Then sailed on out the creek back to the slough via the back door.
Continued down the slough, took the bend north and sailed all the way to Kirby Park about four miles inland. Then turned and tacked back out. Wind had shifted to the southwest. Was coming in puffs. Took some work to get myself finally out to the bridge by the power plant again.
Now at the bridge the tide was going out. So the plan was to drop the sail in the water and let the current take me out against the wind. I had to move around a bit first to let some kayak traffic coming into the slough via under the bridge pass first. I got near the bridge, dropped the sail in the water and waited. Nothing. Wind drag on my body equaled the water drag on the board and rig. Knelt down. Still nothing. Laid down on the board. Finally, slowly, slowly moving under the bridge. Then stopped. Had to also paddle with one hand to get movement under the bridge and to the outer harbor. Raised the sail and sailed away.
Messed around in the harbor some more and played a bit on the swell set up by the ebbing current between the jetties. Then went into the harbor side beach and landed.
It was definitely a different kind of windsurfing day. Whale watching, a slough, and a creek.

Map of creek sailed below:

[/img]

Challenge for Lee D: Name and year that someone did this before me. Shocked

08-30-2014 Elkhorn Slough Creek Windsurfed.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.15 KB
 Viewed:  8251 Time(s)

08-30-2014 Elkhorn Slough Creek Windsurfed.png

Goodwind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:26 am    Post subject: Saturday at Stick Reply with quote

By 3:30, most of the early birds at Stick with 5+ meter sails came back for down sizing. Powered on my 3.5 from 3:35 to 5. The wind took a 30 minutes break and then roaring back at 5:30. Sailed till 6:30. As I was leaving a little passed 7, there were still a couple of sailors out. Really didn't expect to use 3.5 this late in the season. What a bonus! Laughing Laughing
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Aug 31 Coyote Reply with quote

Nice uneventful day at Coyote. Out with 5. powered up, some chop very little swell ... a bit boring? Very Happy A LOT of people out, counted more than 30 in the water + parking lot.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started on a 4.2 at 2 PM today at A.L., with a fading swell from the last few days, lasted about an hour, then it got windy. 3.7 to 3.5 wind when I left around 4, the strong wind killed what was left of the swell, but the water was warm, and the masses were leaving the area.... yay, serious traffic on Hwy. 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 66, 67, 68 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 67 of 329

Jump to: