myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: TI Aug 24 Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
Gorgeous day at TI. Lots of sailors! I can only imagine how this place would look like with a beach and better access!!!!

????

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.83 KB
 Viewed:  10999 Time(s)

image.jpg

faradroka1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, my one regret about sliding over to the dark side, no more Treasure Island for me....
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: 3rd Ave, old launch, Sunday evening Reply with quote

3rd Ave, old launch, Sunday evening- SCORE! I claim no special powers, just showed up late, but in time to see early birds give up on it and go home due to light sw wind on the inside discouraging launching. Even the highly esteemed and devoted Dmitry, normally very much in tune with conditions, derigged and left (a very high-value sacrifice indeed!). But then a miraculous turn of wind to the inside ensued. My friend Big Boi, who was dryland training, got right on it. I quickly rigged a 5.3 and powered off to the channel. Big Boi stayed mostly to the inside enjoying fast flat water, while I opted for the bump, jump, and swells rides outside. Pretty desolate out there, and wish more people had made it, but sailing conditions were very good and lasted until near sunset, so thanks Lady Luck!
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Bodega, Fri. Aug. 22 Reply with quote

6.4, never really planed, but enough power to stay upwind. I wished I'd brought the 7.3. Water seemed unusually warm, and it was a good day just to do some relaxation sailing and to fool around with the sail.

Two other sailors showed up, similarly desperate for any relief from the prolonged wind drought.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today, Monday, launched at New Brighton with the Angulo G'ud 10'10" WindSUP and Ezzy 7.0 and never even made it as far as Capitola. The waves were just too good at Bombora. I had fun with plenty many rides in the waist high and chest high range and even one head high. Sets were coming often with little or no waiting after the tack back out.
Yes, this is the break where a wipeout in March while SUPping sent me to the hospital and off the water for four months, but hey, today it seemed to be trying to make it back up to me. And I had handlebars (the boom).
Two hours of unadulterated fun. Then the wind shifted slightly and slackened. Back to New Brighton I went.
After de-rigging and putting all in the van, I looked out one more time at Bombora. Two fools were trying to surf Bombora in an inflatable and an outboard. They ended up in the shallows under the cliffs with their outboard dead. Last seen paddling downwind with a kayak paddles and oars. I reported it to the rangers so that they could keep an eye on them.
Sail power is the way to go, I say. Leave the outboard at home.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Monday 25 TI Reply with quote

The lack of the beach kept windsurfers away (as well as the one lonely kiter who occasionally shows up with a power boat (the horror!)). Nobody around: very lonely with the dry vegetation and radiation glow. Images of post-apocalypse sailing days pop up ... but I see no strangely dressed people on top of machine gun equipped "cars" (you know, like the guy below).

So I go for a quicky, and the first time out with the slalom makes me think about crossing to Larkspur ... one just needs to follow the ferry ...

No traffic to or from!!!! There's the trick for the Franciscanos sailing TI: show up at 12:30 and finish sailing a 3 ( just when the wind usually picks up Shocked )

495225-mad-max.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.85 KB
 Viewed:  10860 Time(s)

495225-mad-max.jpg

rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The guy on the power boat at TI is Captain John who teaches kiting and provides boat support and transportation for kiters who want to explore or who just want to have some piece of mind while kiting. I've met him at Crissy and he struck me as a really nice guy stoked about all water sports. I've never had any issues with him or his guests out there.

http://kitethebay.com/

The launch at TI is a bit depressing but if it was any nicer, parking would be a problem. Traffic can be challenging to get out there at times but usually worth it. General consensus was that the wind was lacking punch out there this past weekend but some folks had fun so I'm not going to rain on their parade. That place is like the United Nations of sailing spots as you tend to get folks from sailing sites around the bay converging there when our usual spots are shut down this time of year.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: TI Aug 26 Reply with quote

Gorgeous day at TI. I get out at 2:30 just after peak flood with the 4.3. After some time just powered up the wind and the ebb kick in and I have an absolutely perfect afternoon: big swell, sun, wind, perfect sail size ... and did I mention the sun? Very Happy

About 10-15 people show up sharing the feast.

The "thing" (i.e. the kite powered catamaran with the helmeted crew) gets out just around 3pm. It is VERY noisy. At a certain point it was overtaking me and I looked around wondering what the hell was that strange noise ... does not look way fast, it took it quite a while to catch up with an RRD FSW on an underpowered 4.3 ...
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: No Name Break between O'Neill's and The Hook Reply with quote

Launched at New Brighton with the Angulo Sail SUP and Ezzy 7.0 and tacked up the coast outside the kelp as there was little wind inside. Humpback whales were breaching on the horizon. Swell coming in from the south with a period of about 14 seconds. Went inside at Privates and caught a few waves. Three boys out on an inner-tube having too much fun. Even without a sail.
I was concerned about the light wind inside and decided to tack on up to Pleasure Point although I did not hold out much hope for the right conditions. Boy was I wrong. I found the perfect combination of wind and swell at the spot between O' Neill's and The Hook. I do not think this area even has a break name. When a set came it would build as it crossed the kelp bed and I could pick it up there and ride it part way in, or, if the wind held and there was not too big a wave behind it, all the way in to near the beach. Many of the rides were at least waist high and plenty many were head high. Some I could catch outside the surfers at O'Neill's and ride almost all the way to The Hook. Sometimes had to climb up the face and over on additional waves in the set. Windsurfed for about two hours there and then headed back and made it to New Brighton with just a light zephyr of a breeze at that point.
Another absolutely great day!
Goodwind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:46 am    Post subject: Stick 8-26 Reply with quote

A nice walk-in-the-park kinda day at stick from 3:30 to 5:30. Powered on my 5.3/100 under consistent wind, warn sun, warm air and warm water. Since I was planing close to 100%, the wind was good enough for 4.7/90 but I was just playing it safe at this time of the year. Iron man Fred was out on the water for an hour before me. He asked, it's such good wind where is everybody? This evening I looked up today's chart and saw only half an hour of good wind. No wonder only a handful of guys bother to show up. Don't believe everything you see!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 64, 65, 66 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 65 of 329

Jump to: