myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Escondido Beach (Malibu area) - A good place for a beginner?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lunchbox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Escondido Beach (Malibu area) - A good place for a beginner? Reply with quote

Well it's been about a year since I windsurfed last and I've bought myself a new sail and two new masts so I'm ready to really try to charge this summer/fall. I'm dying to know what planning feels like Smile'

The only place I've tried yet is Castiac Lake which I've found out is not the best place to go...Gusty, light winds, direction changes, etc. I do like the water temp right now (77F).

So, I'm looking for consistent winds and someplace close to home. I do quite a bit of surfing, Stand Up Paddle Surfing and Kitesurfing so I feel very comfortable in the ocean. However, I am still a beginner windsurfer so I'm looking for a spot with no or very, very small waves.

I was thinking Escondido Beach (just north of Latigo Canyon and south of Geoffrey's restaurant) in Malibu would be the perfect spot. I know it doesn't get that windy but I am ok with that at the moment. I just want to go back and forth for at least the first few weeks.

Has anyone ever windsurfed there and if so, is it a good place for a beginner to ride in the ocean for the first time?

Please note, I have heard Mother's Beach is good, but I really don't want to drive that far if I don't have to.

Thanks.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see you're giving our sport a try. Cabrillo beach should be your best bet, while it is still summer. depending on your skill level inside at Cabrillo is very easy, or outside if your little bit better. south of point Dume has light winds, and north has rocks and surf. next week or two should have larger surf here, but if it is flat Coral Beach is pretty good sometimes.

good luck.

Last edited by MalibuGuru on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the crew! First, forget about Mothers Beach, Marina del Rey. Dirty water, stingrays(!!!!), fluky crap wind. I second Steve's suggestion of inside at Cabrillo, safe, warm, semi-clean water, decent wind. That's where I graduated to ocean sailing after learning basics at Castaic. If the drought lets up one of these days, Lake Lopez, about three hours North of LA, near Arroyo Grande , is a good place to get your chops down. Remember, windsurfing is a dues -paying sport. You'll get frustrated as Hell, but just remember, even the hottest hotshot sailor has been where you are now. Just keep smiling, don't be afraid to ask for tips from good sailors, and have fun! Bull
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never done it myself, but a former lifeguard for Castaic Lake told me that the lake can be very good for windsurfing during Santa Ana winds. So if true, we are entering Santa Ana wind season, so you may want to pay attention to that.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
Never done it myself, but a former lifeguard for Castaic Lake told me that the lake can be very good for windsurfing during Santa Ana winds. So if true, we are entering Santa Ana wind season, so you may want to pay attention to that.

That is true. If we get an early Santa Ana season, the water could still be warm. If it starts up mid November, get a warm wetsuit. Wind is gusty though.
lunchbox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I was kinda considering Mothers but not now. Thanks for the tips on the stingrays...I had no idea. And I assumed incorrectly that because it's near the ocean the wind would be clean.

Didn't even think about Castiac being good during a Santa Ana...very cool. I just assumed that the wind at the lower lake would be disrupted by the big dam. I'll definitely have to check it out...I might need another sail though as my smallest one is a 5.8.

Ah...Lake Lopez...I went up there about 2 years ago (pre windsurf) to cam p with my family. I was just kitesurfing at the time. I had heard it was a no go for kitesurfing so I didn't even bother to bring my gear. I saw two kitesurfers launch and ride for about 5 mins before the Rangers were on the scene...man, they came quick.
I remember seeing all the windsurfers and thinking...man, they got such a cool set up here!

Thanks again for the welcome and advice!
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, you've never planed and you're going to learn on open ocean? Can you waterstart? Uphauling on the ocean can be very challenging, unless you're sailing a gigantic board. I think a little insight into your ability level & equipment would be in order here.

Lopez? Sure, great place to learn! Cabrillo? Excellent, going there myself tomorrow! Isabella? Perfect, once it gets some water back in it. Castaic? I'd rather stick hot needles in my eyes! Castaic during a Santa Ana has winds of 12 AND 30. I tried sailing there several times many years ago, and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, at any skill level.

zenzen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey lunchbox. I sailed at Escondido beach a year ago on an original windsurfer. Some local guy had pulled 2 them out of his garage and he and a complete beginner were sailing them right at the bridge. I learned on the same rig 39 years ago and he let me take it out. super fun. This weekend the surf will be too big at Escondido for a novice, but if there is no big surf its a great spot. I sup there a lot and the kelp keeps the water nice and glassy so it wouldn't be too hard to uphaul. The kelp also makes it pretty limited for sailing once you get going though. It is definetly not windy enough to learn to waterstart, but for uphauling and just getting the basics of longboarding it's pretty good. Just watch yourself getting in and out of the surf. Even on small days there can be some nasty shorebreak, but if you have half a brain about the ocean you should be fine.
lunchbox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ spennie - A little bit about myself and my equipment. 6'4" 205lbs. Athletic build. 47 yrs old. Long time Surfer. Been SUPing for the last few years. SUPing waves now 100% of the time. Ride everything from 8'6" to 12'6"...all boards are 30-31" wide. Been kitesurfing since late 2006. Buggy and landboard as well.
Started windsurfing last summer. Went about 5 times in total. All at Castiac Lake. Started up again a few weeks ago. Went once so far and plan to go back to Castiac tomorrow.
Got a JP Funster 205 and a 5.8m 2014 Ezzy Legacy and 2012 7.5m Ezzy Zephyr.
I can go back and forth pretty well and stay upwind. I can't waterstart yet nor have I tried to hook in or go in straps.
I would love to learn to plane on a lake first but with the wife and kids and so many other hobbies, I can't really justify nor do I feel comfortable making the long trek to Lake Lopez or Isabella and being away for so long.
I know the ocean is a big first step but I have looked at Escondido many times and as far as beaches go, it looks like it's the best one for what I want to do that is close by. I know SUPing is a lot different in the ocean as opposed to a lake and I'm sure windsurfing in the ocean is just as different. However, I am hoping that my time on the SUP has prepared me for the ability to uphaul a sail on the ocean especially on a board that is 39" wide.
I always thought Cabrillo was an advanced spot so I was reluctant to go there because I didn't want to get in anyone's way. I had also heard that the wind is strong there so that made me a little gun shy as well.
Perhaps I need to revisit my thinking?

@zenzen - Thanks for the info on Escondido...I just knew there had to be someone whose tried it out. That makes me feel better knowing that others have windsurfed there before. And yeah, this weekend, I'm definitely not going to be going anywhere near the ocean with my windsurfing gear. I definitely plan to go there only when there is no swell. And yeah, I will also be paying attention to the shorebreak as well.

Thanks.
summertime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place people are suggesting at Cabrillo is protected by a long jetty on both sides so it's like a huge cove. You can't get swept out to open ocean. It's a great place for beginners. Nice sandy beach entry. One dollar an hour to park. Park in the lot beyond the big lifeguard tower and you won't have far to carry your gear and set up. Also, the lifeguard is at the far end of the jetty until 8 pm but you'll be fine inside that jetty area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: