myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
seat harness
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairly inexpensive, comfortable, light. i've used one for years.

http://www.progressivesports.com/I-310012-Epic-Gear-Slalom-Tech-Seat-Harness-S.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me how poorly sellers and manufacturers present harnesses. JohnI's link provides is a perfect example of just how worthless their single photo is in depicting the features of the seat harness being sold. What does it look like from the front or side views? What a joke.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
It amazes me how poorly sellers and manufacturers present harnesses. JohnI's link provides is a perfect example of just how worthless their single photo is in depicting the features of the seat harness being sold. What does it look like from the front or side views? What a joke.

Yeah, I agree. I'm thinking about getting a low-hook seat harness for formula sailing, but I wouldn't buy the Epic without being able to see a more detailed picture.

noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

You mean the typical "this is what your ass will look like" picture? That's why I have so many new harnesses that don't quite fit the bill for me.....or my ass!

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about "get off your adz and try one on?" i have a fairly off the shelf carcass. i still make sure clothes fit by trying them on when it's a new brand i'm not familiar with. some things one cannot buy online i guess? sounds so to me.

if the responses to my efforts to help are testimony as to what the windsurfing consumer ewants to make a purchase decision on, let's all strictly buy online shall we? brick and mortar shops have been cancelled?

i've been using the same model harness for 12+ years in waves or flats. if you see on at a shop, try one on.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
how about "get off your adz and try one on?" ... . some things one cannot buy online ... brick and mortar shops have been cancelled?

Solid advice, especially with harnesses (I can fit my own danged shoes or wet suits). If the OP has no B&M shop nearby, he might order out 2 or 3 harnesses, pick one, and return the rest. I've discussed that with online sources in advance, and they've been fine with it for shoes, wetsuits, harnesses, and more. The bigger problem with harnesses has been that in-store and on-the-water trials are different. I was surprised how much difference knowledgeable assistance makes in fitting harnesses. The guy at Big Winds (I forget which guy; it was a couple of years ago) was a huge help in my selection of a harness I've been very happy with. After that, I wouldn't dream of asking for a discount or shopping online for a better price; he and the shop earned full price by being very helpful and stocking many models.

Mike \m/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree! I would just add, in case the OP hasn't done it before, that you can try your harness by attaching a rope to a beam, or a tree, and by hanging on it with your weight, like when you sail. For sure, it's not like spending 2 hours in the water with your harness. But I wouldn't buy a harness if I cannot get rid of pressure points by adjusting it.

I don't trust anymore salespeople that tell me that discomfort will go away while I use new shoes. Surprise, I don't buy bad shoes anymore! I think the same applies to harnesses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: