myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where We Sailed Today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 327, 328, 329  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy smokes Larkspur, what are you reading?
Got there around 3, maybe 12-23 or so, rigged 5 meters and decided on trying the 109 well powered. 18' from the beachstart, in both straps and rocking overpowered to unhandleable for an hour, then decided the gusts MUST top 28, a well downhauled 5.0 was well beyond max, and it showed.....25 in the gusts on the meter, something I should be fine using a 6.0 in.
windward1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I launched at New Brighton State Beach sailing my Angulo 10’-10” Sail/SUP with an Ezzy 7.0 Cheetah. Wind was measured pre-launch at 6 to 9 knots, coming from the southwest.
I tacked out into the Monterey Bay and then tacked up the coast. Checked out Bombora, but not much wave action there. There was a south swell coming into the bay, but it was at 170 degrees so this far in the bay was being shadowed by the Monterey Peninsula. There was a little bit of surf happening at Capitola, but not too much. Ankle-biters mostly. So I sailed past the Capitola surf break and into the anchorage. Tacked through it looking at all the fine yachts moored there. Some from far away places.
I continued tacking up the coast and caught a wave or two at Privates and Sharks Bay. Then tacked past all of the surfers at The Hook. One surfer paddled out right into my way as I was on an inside tack. I was caught in irons and asked him if he really had to stop right there. At my request he did take a couple of strokes farther, allowing me to fall off the wind and tack seaward.
I sailed in and out east of O’Neill’s and caught a bit of the swell there. The wind was picking up a bit with some gusts into the teens. Then I continued up to Pleasure Point and Third Peak was open, so I sailed there for over an hour catching some of the south swell. I rode some ankle-biters as well as some waist-high waves. Even caught one good chest-high wave. Had to manage maneuvering through the kelp at the same time as riding the waves.
Wind started lightening so I decided to head back as I had 2-1/2 miles to sail down the coast to my point of launch. As I was broad reaching into the beach east of O’Neill’s, I hear a swimmer call my name. I turned and tacked back to him. He is a regular windsurfer at Waddell and also sails Pleasure Point. He and I talked and he told me about the most excellent Shark Week on the Discovery Channel.
I then headed on out, going past the surfers at The Hook and catching a wave at Sharks Bay that took me a long ways towards home. Then another at Privates that, again, helped the homeward effort.
Then I broad reached tacked through the anchorage as one boat was leaving under sail. Then by the surfers at Capitola. Caught a wave at Toes Over and then tried Bombora. Still nothing happening there.
Sailed by a guy fishing from an inflatable boat and then one more run out into the bay and then back to the beach.
What a great day! No wind up the coast, but with the right gear, in this case a Sail/SUP, I had a great summer day! I can highly recommend it for those who are suffering these ‘windless’ days.
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: 2014-08-12 Sherman Island County Park Reply with quote

Very nice sailing conditions at Sherman Island today. Images show pro windsurfer Derek Rijff initiating and finishing a reverse-footing duck jibe. There was lots of wind in the middle of the river, but the Play Pen stayed pretty smooth.

2014-08-12 Derek at Sherman Island.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.93 KB
 Viewed:  10218 Time(s)

2014-08-12 Derek at Sherman Island.JPG

2014-08-12 Derek in the Play Pen.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  256.69 KB
 Viewed:  10218 Time(s)

2014-08-12 Derek in the Play Pen.JPG

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, tired from windsurfing over the weekend.
Monday late afternoon, get a 6 o clock call to windsurf at Berkeley.
Rigged 6.0 and 109, well powered for almost an hour, but 4 sets of tenis earlier that day used up my allotment of legs, so I planed to the docks and had to almost forcefully slow the board by heavily backwinding the sail. Still blowing at 8 when we drove off.
Today is off day, my legs needing the rest.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Coyote Aug 13 Reply with quote

Very outside at Coyote, but had 2 perfect hours at the outside buoys with a 5.0. Just for fun I went east a long way from the buoys but as I thought the wind dies after another mile or so ... yo "reach" Alameda one needs either a much bigger day or (better) a floaty slalom board.
cachaocachao

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

borrowed some of the great TI wind yesterday and sailed 4.0/90L (128 lb) comfortably powered upwind (emeryville, TP beach, berkeley). Missing those TI ebbing swells though.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday 6:30PM sesh at Berkeley, 5.5 well powered on a 109, should have been on 90 liter board, but had to walk in at 7. Dead inside.
Lighter wind stayed until just past 8, when we couldn't see anymore.
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Aug 14 TI Reply with quote

Great day at TI, started at 3:15 powered up with 5.0/85L. Sunny at first got progressively overcast and the wind increased around 4-5:30 (very powered up!). Many people out with 4.2-47. Started to slow down at 6 when I went back and failed 3 tacks in a row in the harbor (1 sort of worked ... ) ... stayed out almost 3 hours straight, could not really stop ... some very nice swell (the trains are wider spaced than Coyote ... can't really miss a jibe ... ) and a couple of great runs chasing the big ferry catamarans, teasing a few sailboats got rounds of cheers and lots of waving at each other Very Happy

Last edited by dvCali on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:14 am; edited 3 times in total
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: 3rd Ave Thurs 8/14 late Reply with quote

3rd Ave channel Thurs 8/14 after 5pm late session, nice wind, nice ebb, no complaints from those that stuck around for it. Because of venue "closure" due to main launch renovation work, many of the upper crew appears to be coming down to the lower launch now. A joining of the tribes of sorts, upper and lower, creating an interesting new dynamic both on and off the water.

Reminder: beware of the steep and sometimes slippery lower launch ramp.

beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got that "it's great to be alive" feeling at Coyote yesterday-I feel sorry for the people who don't windsurf and miss out on that. No wonder they run around so angry at everything.
Note; this morning F Godsey says the gradient is only .02 for SFO to Sac but the wind is blowing 25 (not a criticism of F). There is a Nobel prize waiting for some climate physicist who figures it out I'm sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 327, 328, 329  Next
Page 61 of 329

Jump to: