myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
When is the best time to learn the forward loop?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can!

Both tacks too. I always wear a helmet when conditions are favorable for loopy behavior. It makes me feel more confident, but also, because I promised my wife and kids that I would. When it's wetsuit weather, I often have to sail alone too*, so helmet is a bit of added insurance.
I've also been whipped on my back plenty: always glad I had a helmet on when that happened.

*There's just so many fewer windsurfers here in the mid-west than there were even 10 years ago. Sad

manuel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a protec and the increase in surface area made the impact much harder than without. Maybe the Gath is better but still increases the splash.

Try both and see what works best for you. The wymaroo technique's point is to head downwind first. This is what clears the way. Again ear protection + encouraging buddies will do.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather splash harder than lose shred time to injury or death. I'm funny that way.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be dating myself here but I remember that exact same whiplash argument trying to prevent the California motorcycle helmet law.
Laughing

Coachg
philodog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I`ll bite. Yes I can loop, yes I wore a helmet when trying but I think it`s optional depending on what makes you comfortable. Personally, I would wear one. What is not optional is ear protection, either a helmet, ear plugs or a neoprene cap that covers the ears. Busted eardrums SUCK and are quite possible when learning to loop. You are NOT going to over rotate and break your board when your learning no matter what our resident non looping expert says.
As for whiplash, I used to wear a helmet religiously until I started trying freestyle moves where crashes involve getting thrown backwards violently. The extra weight definitely made a difference in whiplash effects so no more helmet for me. I am the kook though who always wears a beanie, no matter the temperature, to protect the ears.
Tips? #1 I actually got a lot out of the subplaning jump off your board, throw yourself around the mast move. What`s important is to have the correct rig/body position when doing this (back arm back on the boom, then all at once a little jump,put the rig forward, sheet in and look back). What I learned from this move was first of all a good gut check. If you can`t man up to do this move you`re not ready for a loop. And good muscle memory practice with rig position. I never hit my board or caused any damage. #2 A high wind drill that helped me was to get in the footstraps in the water start position (not moving forward) and go for a loop using all the correct rig/ body positioning. You will end up doing half a loop around the nose of your board. It gives the feel of what a loop feels like in the air and again, gives good muscle memory of the correct position. #3 Close your eyes. I kept bailing mid way through when I saw the world spinning but this corrected that. It took me four years of painful self hatred before I finally found the guts to pull the trigger but I waterstarted out of my second one. Like that first flip off a diving board when your a kid, only the first one is hard.
ps #4 NEVER let go of your boom no matter how bad things are going. If you hang onto the boom the worst that happens is a splat. Let go of the boom and bad things can happen.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
You are NOT going to over rotate and break your board when your learning no matter what our resident non looping expert says.
As for whiplash, I used to wear a helmet religiously until I started trying freestyle moves where crashes involve getting thrown backwards violently.

Let's keep it real. This non-looping expert simply cited a sailor who snapped boards like they were uncooked spaghetti noodles, and pointed out that if things went sufficiently awry, boards can break. I also cited one bud who broke many masts, including wave masts, while learning on lakes. I think it's valid to make sure people know the potential upsides and downsides of any new venture, whether it's looping or horseless carriages, fiscal or physical.

If we let our bodies relax, let our head smack the water without tensing up, and let the helmet do its job, whiplash shouldn't be a problem. The upside of that: fewer head injuries and greater confidence.
katiedog

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing your weight to sail size,I find 4.7 mtr.sailing is perfect time.3.2 -3.7 mtr. days I would advise you to avoid in the beginning .
isobitchin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars says "How 'bout we report both sides, fair and balanced, and let each reader decide for himself? What a concept!"

he also says "I'm not suggesting the OP fugheddaboutit. It really is "only water", so (probably) the worst he can do is ... snap a board."

Why after all the experts say this is not going to happen the almighty still insists it is a possibility? Well if we`re including ANYTHING that might happen we should include the caveat that as you land on your butt on your first successful loop it IS possible that a sturgeon may be surfacing nose first at the same time and accidentally butt rape you. Your call whether you still want to try loops. You`ve been warned.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobitchin wrote:
Why after all the experts say this is not going to happen the almighty still insists it is a possibility?

Give it a rest, stick to the facts already presented, and/or present some new ones for our consideration. That's how debate works. Making up your own "facts" is simply bitching, especially when you feel obliged to hide your identity to do so.
Seaaiken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of things to worry about when trying a forward loop. Breaking your mast or board are two things that I would not worry about at all. Masts have become much stronger and you will not break your board at the early stages of learning to loop.
Pascal broke boards because he's strong as an ox and landed fully powered and flat and will hang onto anything.
Wear a helmet if it makes you feel good. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about the helmet, but do hang onto the boom and don't let go until you really know where you are in the rotation.
Sounds like you are ready to loop to me.
Now go sit on the beach, fully rigged and DO NOT go in the water until you have it in your mind that you will attempt a loop on the very first piece of junky chop you hit on your FIRST reach. You don't need much air at all to attempt the first one.
Do Not go out and warm up. (ever see a lion warm up before the kill? Wink
Do Not wait for the perfect ramp.
Do go right out and get it over with and then back it up by doing at least two more attempts.
Enjoy the rest of your session. You now can do anything.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: