myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is a carbon boom worth it?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m also on the fence, but did buy a spanking new ProAlloy for all my sails this year.
I had 4 carbon booms in my van when it got towed.
I've broken maybe 10 carbon booms, at least 6 at the head piece, made of aluminum and corroded.
I've broken at least 10 aluminum booms, but none in the past 15 years.
I usually pick up throw away alluminum booms from the local sailing clubs, or from throwaway piles, use them for 2 years more, then throw them away.
I do agree, sails 6 and bigger should need carbon booms.
I don't agree speed is better with carbon, just because it's stiffer. In 6.0 sizing, sailing with my peers, not pro or pro level slalom sailiors (a bunch of us old Berkelely guys are close to that level), I have never been passed by a peer using slalom boards against my fast freeride, and I've passed or caught up with every single one of them, using an aluminum boom.
Use whatever, but whatever is stiffer and longer lasting if the extension is not maxed out for the sail you use.
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, I can buy a pro 1 alum. boom that rigs everything from my 3.4 to my 5.8, and throw it away every two years, never have to regrip, and still come out cheaper than one carbon boom that won't rig the same number of sails in my quiver....so I will need two of them. So, $200 on sale vs. $1500???

Nah...I will go alum....and have.

KMF
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I've never broken a boom (aluminum or carbon), it's the ONLY piece of equipment I haven't busted, don't know why.

I've tried both and I can't quite get myself to pony up the extra cash for a brand new Carbon boom. Just can't justify it but it comes down to personal taste and budget.

DC
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Be honest with yourself, and divide the cost by the number of times you will use it. For most people, a carbon boom in the range of their most frequently used sails becomes very cost effective regardless of size. For me, it is the best value for a high performance piece of kit.

As long as you can afford the upfront cost, I think it is more than worth it. You can save some money by finding a closeout, or a very good condition used one and regrip it. This is what I prefer to do.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's put it this way... if you know you can't justify the cost and you can't imagine that carbon would make a noticable difference, then do yourself a favor and forget about carbon booms and just continue on fat, happy, and a little richer with your trusty ole' aluminum boom. There's nothing wrong with aluminum per se.

If you want to get that last 10% of performance out of your rig, especially if you're a bigger guy or sailing on large gear, then carbon is the answer and the difference between carbon and aluminum is night and day. I'm a pretty big guy (200+ lbs) and I would always choose carbon over aluminum. The carbon booms are just stiffer, plain and simple. The extra stiffness makes the rig more responsive. Note that the stiffness is really where the extra performance comes from and the reason for buying carbon. The weight difference alone really would not be worth the added cost for most people.

sm
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets see

chronically plateaued 55 yr old lightweight, 1 kid on the way to college, 1 kid soon to be thinking about it, never owned a sail bigger than 6.0, sup more than sail these days - Aluminum it is!
uchida

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with aluminum booms is not only the breakage but the slight bends and tweeks that occur during not so extreme sailing. I've owned carbon for years, mainly chinook, I gave up on Fibersnap years ago. Last year I was forced to buy a new boom and decided that Al was the way to go because of $$$. After 60 or so days of sailing Kanaha on Maui the boom extension is very difficult to slide in and out. I've disassembled and cleaned it only to find the problem is probably due to a small bend in the arms that bind the arms of the rear end when adjusting the outhaul length. Never had this problem with any of my carbon booms. My advice=go carbon, they're worth the extra $$$.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 5.8? No.

Not worth it for such a small sail. Just get a new aluminum boom that can fit the 5.8 with minimal extension and it will be plenty stable.

How far the boom is extended makes a big difference in stability for any sail size. But what the boom is made out of (aluminum vs. carbon) doesn't make much difference in stability until you start dealing with bigger sail sizes, like 7.0+

I remember borrowing a buddy's 6.0 ezzy that was rigged on an over-extended maui sails carbon boom. It was really wobbly. Same sail on a properly sized boom would have been fine.

johnl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed to carbon many years ago and never looked back. Still sailing my original carbon booms. But I hear the new chinook ones are even better Shocked . But for me, I would NEVER go back. I like the feel of the sail on a carbon boom. You may or may not notice it. But like others have said, if you want the ultimate performance then go carbon. I use it from 3.7 to 6.2 and love it.(2 booms).

If you don't think it is better then keep using your alum/alloy booms. Somebody has to buy them......
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it go carbon. Its the little things in sailing that add up. High carbon mast, carbon boom, carbon board, carbon helmet, carbon base, carbon sun glasses, carbon fillings in your teeth. When its all said and done your whole set up weighs less than one old BIC board 20 years ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: