myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Champlain, vt
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ET,

I haven't sailed up there in a pretty long time, but if you're in the Burlington area, there always used to be folks at Sandbar state park and White's Beach. White's was pretty awesome in a Southerly. The north side of Sandbar was great in West to North East winds.

I think there's a shop called Wind and Waves in Burlington, they would probably be your best resource for finding people and spots.

http://wind-nc.com
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use Burlington as a focal point where are the better launch sites? I'm also interested in Lake Champlain windsurfing, sailed once at Sand Bar SP.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Adirondack Boardsailing Club has been around for 30+ years. Their website has a site guide including Northern and Southern Lake Champlain and the Vermont side as well. The guide covers a lot of territory. Pretty comphrensive. It is a good starting point for a search of venues, but I know from experience some of their info for areas outside their region is out of date, or just plain inaccurate.
Arrow http://home.earthlink.net/~abcsail2/siteguide/siteguide_frame.html

marcheinzer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Burlington and sail out the Burlington waterfront most of the time. You can launch from the Community Sailing Center by the coast guard station. They have grassy area to rig the sail and launch of their dock. This location is good for wind out of the South, West and to extend North. When the wind is from the North you need to sail about about 400 yards to get consistent wind.

You can also launch from Leddy park. It has a sandy beach and is safe when it's windy it works for wind out of the South, West and to North West.

You can also launch from Oakledge park, this is better when the wind from West to North.

There are not many people windsurfing in Burlington, but on a windy day you have good chance to meet one or two. A good place to check in is www.wndnwvs.com/ they are mainly selling SUP's but have some limited Windsurf equipment. They now offer windsurf lessons.

I hope to see you out there.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind-NC-Hatteras wrote:
Hi ET,

always used to be folks at Sandbar state park .

Sandbar on the park/beach side is not a good launch spot any more since a big flood a few years ago. They reinforced the waterfront with huge rocks and the only pass to the water is at the very end of the parking lot. That is through a lot of weeds. After all it wasn't too much of a problem for my wife to launch on a Laser. I though had to free up the board from all the weeds after getting to open water. Not a big deal...We had tons of fun as the wind was good. THis is all what matters. Smile

Andrei.
davey2

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a sample of Lake Champlain Winsurfing at Plattsburg, NY. This is the state park.
http://uvwindsurfing.blogspot.com/2014/10/phil-soltysiak-at-lac-champlain-and.html
aka_chato

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sailed Whites Beach a couple of days ago. It was great 5.5 conditions and I was the only one out. This seems to be the norm, I only occasionally see another sailor there. Sand Bar sometimes has a few sailors, but the water is a bit low this year. Conditions at White's can be awesome. I might be heading down there this afternoon. Its averaging 26 and gusting to 40 right now from the WSW. Might work for Whites.
tm00

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aka_chato wrote:
I just sailed Whites Beach a couple of days ago. It was great 5.5 conditions and I was the only one out. This seems to be the norm, I only occasionally see another sailor there.

I sail on the NY side of the lake. For the Plattsburgh area I think there is less than a handful of "local" windsurfers. The "straights" and NYS parks/beaches still get a lot of use on the good south wind days for sailors traveling to the area.

I have been unable to sail this fall because of a medical condition. Naturally, because I can't sail... the wind has been very good.
mikej1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomorrow is looking exceptional, anyone know the current water temp.?
tm00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikej1 wrote:
Tomorrow is looking exceptional, anyone know the current water temp.?

58 at the Burlington gauge

Wind looks good for next couple of days

b
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: