myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sherman Island second Board question??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter19u wrote:
Thanks for all the info. Second Winds has a new 2013 84L RRD Freestyle Wave X-Tech board on sale. Would this board work well at Sherman or should I be looking for a Pocketwave, Exocet X-Wave, Starboard Kode. or Quatro? Or are they all pretty similar. so many damn choices. Thanks again, Pete

Second winds? Or Big Winds? My personal preference for quality in used boards is Windance and Big Winds first choice, Second Wind last. My personal experience is the quality is better at the first two, Second Wind seems to cater to kiters more than Windsurfers these days (no complaint, just an observation) and the used boards I have seen there were more beat up. But that is my opinion. Assuming we are talking about Second Wind Sports in Hood River.

That being said, the Kode, Freestyle Wave, XWave, etc are "pretty much the same" in the big picture. However your personal style and preference will tell you otherwise. Years ago I had a choice between a JP freestyle wave (or what ever they called it) and a Fanatic Freestyle wave in the same size. I demo'd both and found I loved the Fanatic and hated the JP. Other people had different opinions. So it really is personal.

If you can't demo the board, then I would spend DAYS surfing the internet for evaluations of the boards you are choosing. Then cross your fingers and choose. I'm sure people will give their opinions on each board being a great board. But that doesn't mean you will agree. If I hadn't bought the Realwind board, I was going to look at the Kode.

Both Big Winds and Windance ship all over the US. So they are equipped to easily ship your choice. Both shops have real good people working for them.

Oh yeah, for new boards (or maybe good deals on prior year overstock) don't forget Sunset Sailboards in the SF Bay Area. Search the web for that.
waitinSD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve had great luck with SB, RRD and Exo, but I bet you’ll be happy with any of the boards you mentioned. When I looked at the 2013 RRD FSWs at 2nd Wind (Maui) they looked like a good deal but they seemed to be particularly short and wide, especially in the larger sizes. May not be an issue @ 85l. Looks like you have several excellent options to get a great (slightly used) board. And it’s easy to buy from any of the dealers mentioned. I’ve dealt with all of them and they are all good operations.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its for Sherman, I would cheat smaller 75-80. The upside is huge. On 4.0 days you are slashing and jumping, while others are getting pummelled. And because Sherman is so narrow, you're downside is small...wind drops, just grab your 3S. As Bert said, the Real Wind 80 ltr choice is the perfect 4.0-5.0 Sherman board. If you can find a exocet x-wave 81, that would also be a perfect choice, IMO.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter19u wrote:
I'd like a new board but they are pretty pricey!

If a 2014 board would vastly enhance your sailing experience, it would be worth every penny. It will not, so it is not.

I did a huge amount of research on the water, on the beach, and in the magazine test reviews (I wrote them decades ago, so I know how to interpret them pretty well even from other magazines), from which I developed a wish list of dozens of boards ranging from high-end contemporary customs to 1999 production boards. It took me a while to find them all but I did ... so I bought all of them and kept the best 20 or so plus backups of the most fragile favorites.

No, I'm not rich. The secret is twofold: I live near giant swap meets and several consignment shops, and I much prefer the performance of the previous generation of boards, most notably the slightly gunnier/narrower wave boards which eat up chop and spit it out so I can just ignore it as I carve and slash my way across the river. These older boards enhance my sailing experience very significantly, so are worth every penny I spend on them. Fortunately, they cost very few pennies. One of the finest of them all cost only a thousand pennies.

My point is that "new" doesn't mean any more than "better" until one identifies his performance preferences. i.e., until and unless you can list some powerful personal reasons for buying "new", it's not worth the extra four figures on the price tag. Even that high-end custom, which cost its original owner well into four figures, cost me only $600 ... fully four figures less ... only a year later. And that $10 board eats it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the water.

The only guaranteed difference in an unused board is a bigger price tag ... and I've even found them for as low as $400 at the end of the season. DO NOT feel like you're shorting your fun by buying used or closeouts. After all, after just one reach, that new board is used. Is that worth a grand or two to you?

You just might have saved yourself four figures just by reading this whole post. Lucky you.

Windance ships boards all over the lower 48 for <$100, and shoot straight in their assessments. I've bought and sold many boards through them.
peter19u

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I paid $400 for the Tabou 3S and am having a blast on it. That's why I was wondering about the 80L pocketwave. I can get it for a good price. I prefer to buy used. I just need to be patient and wait for a good used board but that is hard to do!!
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What year is the 3S ?

The Pocket Wave , while a wave board has some FSW in it, its suitable for the Delta, a FSW may suit you better, its not possible to try before you buy.
a newer PW with the tri fin would be a nice option, more fins more drag when really nuking, and the extra area will help upwind..flood..!!

the size you are considering is tested frequently, so you can compile several tests.

80 --85 Liters , and find the board in that group based on $$ and condition, the + - of 5 liters so critical... the width may BE.

80--85 for size

I think what you are said :::was you are looking for a new but year old..

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
peter19u

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2009 3S which I really am enjoying. Looks like I will most likely go with the 2013 84L RDD freestyle wave board which I can get a great deal on and should work nicely at Sherman. Thanks again for all your help
bad_dolphin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Many boards, many different kinds of sailing! Reply with quote

Hi Pete--so glad you're having fun!

I'm much lighter than you, so I actually have a 68 litre board for very high wind. My 75 Pocket Wave is used 5.2 and 4.7 single fin, and then 4.2 and 3.7 with the stock (small!( trifin setup)--but I get on smaller sails way faster than you will. The 68 (Exocet u-surf) works from 4.7 down, but I typically like the 75 Pocket if it's gusty--the extra width and float in the Pocket lets you use a small sail for the gusts and carries you through the lulls. Speaking to boards that we've owned or still own: Exocets are terrific boards. The uSurfs are narrow in the nose and fuller under the front footstraps (kinda like a RealWind) and therefore carry well in spite of a smaller size. The ExoWaves are longer and narrower and a more traditional wave board shape. They sit deeper in the water and need more wind to get going, so a larger ExoWave will balance a smaller USurf. The Tabou Pocket Waves are floaty like the uSurfs, but they have a shorter, wider nose with plenty of nose rocker. We love our Pocket Waves! My wife sails her 69 Pocket Wave when it's windy--again, single fin for 4.7 and 4.2, and trifin 3.7, 3.3, and 2.9 (we're in the Gorge right now, and the permanent ebb and larger swell here makes smaller gear really important.) Tabou also makes the DaCurve, which carries its volume under the mast area and has a long, narrow drawn out tail section. This really helps keep the board riding smoothly in high wind, and an 85 DaCurve might be a good fit for you for Sherman in high wind. The 85 DaCurve probably has about the same "float" as the 80 Pocket Wave.

I do know of a guy at Marker 14 whose relatively new RRD 90 fell apart on him (and I've heard of this problem frequent times) so I don't care for that brand, although the shape is nice. He (and another guy over there) recently replaced them with Tabou 3s 86's.

Yeah, and life certainly has become expensive! it's all that carbon fibre demand for replacing all those aged airliners that's driving up material costs, I guess! New wave boards retail for over $2000 now....The good news is that they seem to last, and the design changes are relatively small. So a new-ish used board should not get out-designed and work for years.

Hope this helps!
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: