myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Recommendations please!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Board Recommendations please! Reply with quote

Yes, another one... I appreciate the advice

185 lbs

Lake windsurfing

Very comfortable with footstraps and harness

Just about 1 year and maybe 25-30 sessions

Very gusty highly varied conditions (sometimes a squall that blows through in 1/2 hour is all I can get, it's flat before and after)

My top speed on my Fanatic Viper 80 (190L) has been ~24 mph (GPS) and i've reached it several times with both sails and in flat and bumpy conditions.

Bumpy conditions considered to be 2-3 ft waves.

I'd like more control when it's going fast, and it would be nice to cut through the waves more.

My gybes aren't great, but they're improving

have a 6.5 and a 9.5, I will probably replace the 6.5 with something else.

can't waterstart yet (hard to learn when the majority of my sailing is in gusts and with a 9.5)

Can beachstart when i don't have the gigantic 54cm fin for the 9.5M

Will keep my Viper for light wind days, but i wouldn't mind eventually simplifying to one board.

It seems like the logical choices are the Shark 135, maybe 150
or the JP Xcite Ride 134/146... but I'm wondering if i'm far enough along where I should be looking at a general freeride board more than the introductory ones.

I'd like to try not to spend too much money, I've already dropped a lot of coin on the sport... so closeouts and boards up to 2-3 years old are definitely considered if the value is right. I've looked at used but there isn't much in my area at all.

Thanks!
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're definitely good enough to sail just about any board made, unless you lie a lot! ;-) You don't want to grow out of your next board, you want to grow into it.

I just bought a 2012 Exocet Cross 114, and think it would be a good match for you. You would be able to uphaul it, yet it's pretty high-performance--I've been sailing for 24 years, and really like it a lot. It's my 4th Exocet, they're great boards, and very well made (except the 2013s, which had a manufacturing flaw) The Cross 114 is pretty wide, which makes for quick planing and gives it the ability to glide between gusts and "connect the dots". Comes with a pretty good 38 cm. fin.

antonputman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
... It's my 4th Exocet, they're great boards, and very well made (except the 2013s, which had a manufacturing flaw)...

Can you specify this please? Is this for ALL Exocet boards from 2013? Why?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another really good board for you would be a Tabou rocket 125. I have friends that I sail with and they love them. Don't get the one that has GT on it. Its a very heavy board meant for rentals or schools. Standard construction is the way to go....
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputtemans:

I was told at the shop where I bought it (Delta Windsurf Co., an excellent shop!) that the 2013 Cross 114's were accidentally manufactured without their PVC foam wrap (think Divinicell, or Corecell). This made them very soft and weak, and Exocet had to warranty them.

I don't know for sure if this was all the 2013 Cross 114s, or some of them, but I seem to remember that it was just the 114s. Derek said that if it was bad I would know in 3 hours, that the deck would get soft very quickly. If you're worried about your Exocet I'd check with the shop where you bought it, they should know for sure.

I'd like to add here that normally Exocets are very strong! I've owned a total of 5, currently have 4, I weigh 215 pounds and have never had an issue of any kind with any of them, even the one I jumped incessantly, and never heard of anyone having any problems except this one. I really like their boards, and will continue to buy them in the future. Not sponsored.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for great performance for the dollar, consider the exocet nano 125

http://www.exocet-original.com/nano.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Board Recommendations please! Reply with quote

bse wrote:
It seems like the logical choices are the Shark 135, maybe 150
or the JP Xcite Ride 134/146... but I'm wondering if i'm far enough along where I should be looking at a general freeride board more than the introductory ones.

I'd like to try not to spend too much money, I've already dropped a lot of coin on the sport... so closeouts and boards up to 2-3 years old are definitely considered if the value is right. I've looked at used but there isn't much in my area at all.

At the risk of pissing you off by existing, I'll try one last time to provide a useful suggestion you may have overlooked:
http://www.windance.com/120-L-JP-X-Cite-Ride-2010-UGUW0166/
Their shipping is dirt cheap, they will run a live webcam over the board real time while talking to you so you can evaluate its condition almost first-hand, and dirt cleans off easily. Notice that they seem to have three sizes.

bse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars... you don't piss me off, and that's actually a really good suggestion. I think you made a few assumptions about me and my experience which I found a bit insulting, but i'm not one to hold a grudge.

Right now though i'm in limbo with windance, i've had excellent service with them before but they shipped me some dakine comp t-handle adjustable harness lines that didn't actually have the T-Handle (a couple of knots where the t-handle should be). They don't seem to want to address the issue (i'm on call 5 and 2 emails including pictures as of today) which makes me a bit nervous about continuing to do business with them.

EDIT: Just called windance again they look like they're making it right...

Last edited by bse on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you talked with owner Dave? I'd be surprised if he didn't make it right. If not, your concerns may be well founded.

You perceived insults that were not there and levied charges you didn't even try to support, thus the impression you weer pissed.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake conditions, gusty -

X-Cite Ride 134
Any of the new freemove boards around 120 lt.

I have the new RRD Firemove 122, and it has a really good range (7.5 to 5.5), slogs fine, and seems easier to waterstart, perhaps because of the thin rails.

From what I have read, the Tabou Rocket is not to be disregarded.

Edit: I weigh 210, and have been windsurfing more than 20 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: